This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Andrew Bartee Receives Princes Grace Award

I received a press release from Pacific Northwest Ballet, announcing that Professional Division student, Andrew Bartee, who was featured prominently in the season-end Choreographer's Workshop, has received a Princess Grace Award.

From the press release:

Pacific Northwest Ballet School student Andrew Bartee, a native of Everett, WA, has been a ballet dancer since birth, even though he didn’t know it. After trying baseball, violin, and soccer, he asked his parents if he could try ballet. He began taking classes at a local studio and had spent a year there when his teacher told his parents that he needed to begin professional ballet training. He enrolled at Pacific Northwest Ballet School in 2002, and has since progressed to the Professional Division. He has danced numerous roles in both Company and School productions, including Kent Stowell’s Carmina Burana, George Balanchine’s La Sonnambula, and Bruce Wells’ Hansel and Gretel. Andrew credits ballet with helping him find his place and his passion. He has worked hard to catch up to fellow students who began their studies years before him. Pacific Northwest Ballet is pleased and honored to have such a talented student in its Professional Division, and is excited to watch Andrew as he begins his career.

Asked what inspired his interest in dance, Andrew said, “Seeing my first ballet made me fall in love with the idea of one day performing on stage. I’ve met many amazing dancers and seen performances that took me to the edge of my seat. I’ thankful to be a part of such a timeless art. I am grateful to have very special teachers who inspire me as I continue to study and learn techniques.”

On what he thinks the Princess Grace Award will mean to his artistic growth and career, Andrew believes, “My Princess Grace Award is the first significant recognition of my artistry and it encourages me as I pursue a career in dance.”

Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal commented, “Andrew’s talent and work ethic are of the highest order. This honor is well deserved. All of us at PNB are very proud of him.”

Congratulations! :devil:

vrsfanatic sent us a link to the press release announcing all of the Princess Grace Awards; nine in total went to dancers and choreographers:

http://www.pgfusa.org/uploads/PGF%20Awards...%2008.27.07.pdf

Dancers:

Andrew Bartee (Pacific Northwest Ballet School)

Brooklyn Mack -- he was a a silver medallist at the Jackson International Ballet Competition last year (Orlando Ballet)

Sarah Kathryn Lane (American Ballet Theatre)

Rashaun L. Mitchell (Merce Cunningham Dance Company)

Christopher Vo (The Julliard School)

Meredith Webster (LINES Ballet)

Choreographers:

Eric Ray Kupers (AXIS Dance Company)

Darrell Grand Moultrie (Cincinnati Ballet)

Pavel Zustiak (Laboratory Dance Company)