This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

R.I.P. Fernando Jhones of Cuba

This is so sad...Jhones was one of the first male dancers from Ballet Nacional de Cuba, along Jorge Esquivel and Orlando Salgado, that i saw on stage when i was a kid. One of the loveliest choreographies that i recall from my early days at the Lorca Theatre in Havana at was "Munecos"("Toys")a little tragic fairytale piece which he danced with Ms. Caridad Martinez, (the first afrocuban classical ballerina i ever saw at BNC ),which i've seen many times after, but never like them. There are some clips on Youtube of this ballet with Lorna Feijoo. I also saw "Canto vital", (vital song), by Azary Plisetsky (Maya Plisetskaya's brother), a contemporary ballet danced on a Mahler symphony, in where he really made a full display of male force and power...and he was phenomenal. Yes, i'm really shocked and sad..he was still young...

Thank you, Natalia, for posting the note.

RIP, Fernando Jhones :devil:

Cristian,

Would you be so kind as to translate. Did I read this correctly that he was only 56 when he died? Were you familiar with his dancing? If so what was he like?

Hi, printscess...thank you for your interest. Here is some information in english about Mr. Jhones from the web site of Radio Habana Cuba, an official cuban radio station.

"One of the most prestigious dancers of the Cuban National Ballet, Fernando Jhones, passed away in Mexico where he worked as director of the Queretaro University Ballet. Jhones, who was a loyal member of the Cuban National Ballet, visited Havana just a few months ago to participate in the International Ballet Teaching Academies Conference held in the Cuban capital every year.

The Cuban dancer was internationally acclaimed for his technical and stylistic level. Jhones was known on stages of Europe, the Americas and Asia, where he danced several of the classical leading roles. He also performed in contemporary ballets by Cuban and international choreographers.

In recognition of his artistic skills, Jhones received several decorations throughout his brilliant career, including the Varna Diploma of Honor in1976 and the Prize for Artistic Mastery in Moscow in 1977. He was also awarded the Friendship Medal by the Vietnamese government 1978, the Silver Medal by the Lawyers Guild of Puerto Rico 1978, and the Diploma of Honor at the International Ballet Festival of Peru in 1981.

Jhones obtained the First Prize in Modern Choreography at the International Ballet Contest held in Tokyo in 1978 for his performance in The Tin Soldier with the ballet Muñecos directed by Alberto Mendez. Graduated from the National Ballet School in 1970, Jhones joined the Cuban National Ballet, became a principal dancer in 1986 and continued his career as a dancer until he retired from the stage in 1991"

There's also some more info here:

http://www.cubanow.net/global/loader.php?&...2&item=3260

RIP, Fernando Jhones.

Cristian,

Would you be so kind as to translate. Did I read this correctly that he was only 56 when he died? Were you familiar with his dancing? If so what was he like?

Hi, printscess...thank you for your interest. Here is some information in english about Mr. Jhones from the web site of Radio Habana Cuba, an official cuban radio station.

"One of the most prestigious dancers of the Cuban National Ballet, Fernando Jhones, passed away in Mexico where he worked as director of the Queretaro University Ballet. Jhones, who was a loyal member of the Cuban National Ballet, visited Havana just a few months ago to participate in the International Ballet Teaching Academies Conference held in the Cuban capital every year.

The Cuban dancer was internationally acclaimed for his technical and stylistic level. Jhones was known on stages of Europe, the Americas and Asia, where he danced several of the classical leading roles. He also performed in contemporary ballets by Cuban and international choreographers.

In recognition of his artistic skills, Jhones received several decorations throughout his brilliant career, including the Varna Diploma of Honor in1976 and the Prize for Artistic Mastery in Moscow in 1977. He was also awarded the Friendship Medal by the Vietnamese government 1978, the Silver Medal by the Lawyers Guild of Puerto Rico 1978, and the Diploma of Honor at the International Ballet Festival of Peru in 1981.

Jhones obtained the First Prize in Modern Choreography at the International Ballet Contest held in Tokyo in 1978 for his performance in The Tin Soldier with the ballet Muñecos directed by Alberto Mendez. Graduated from the National Ballet School in 1970, Jhones joined the Cuban National Ballet, became a principal dancer in 1986 and continued his career as a dancer until he retired from the stage in 1991"

There's also some more info here:

http://www.cubanow.net/global/loader.php?&...2&item=3260

RIP, Fernando Jhones.

Thank you for the translation.

Loipa Araujo was gold medal at Varna in 65, I think, the year there was a Cuban women clean sweep. Also on Youtube you can see her mysterious Black Swan fragment in a compilation from Moscow IBC.

Mmm...now i'm really confused, because i was taking the 1969 information as accurate...

"Loipa Araujo mentioned she had been a competitor in the first Moscow competition in 1969 where she received a silver medal. At Varna in 1969 she was the first Cuban ballerina to win a gold medal. On the other side of competitions, however, her first was 1993 in Moscow, following the Mercosur Ballet Competition in Argentina."

which i took from here...:

http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/training/201.html :clapping:

I have Ballet National de Cuba books & programmes stating that the Cuban women's medal sweep at Varna was 64-66. Araujo won gold in 65, Aurora Bosch in 66. Other Cuban female medals: 64 Mirta Pla silver, Josefina Mendez bronze (the year I believe Alla Sizova won gold for USSR, Vasiliev won male gold). 65 Araujo gold, 3 Cuban silvers: Aurora Bosch, Mirta Pla & Josefina Mendez. 66 gold Aurora Bosch, silver Mirta Pla. Arnold Haskell wrote as a result of Cuba's four female jewels.

Can anyone explain the multiplicity of golds at Varna 65?

Can any competition veterans out there explain how Bessmertnova, Makarova & Araujo all won the women's gold at Varna in 1965?

You're totally right, Delibes. Mme. Araujo's gold medal was in 1965, and according to "The Ballerina Gallery" website, besides Bessmertnova, Makarova and Araujo, also Martine Van Hamel was a gold medalist too there !... go figure...

Hi all,

I know this is an old post (5 years ago), but I just want to add that Fernando (Pi) Jhones was my teacher. I was very fortunate to have met him. He was our company director for almost 15 years. He lived and worked in Queretaro, Mexico with his wife, Dubia Hernandez and daughter Dunet Pi Hernandez.

I still work with Dubia, who is now Director of the company with her daughter. We miss him terribly. And yes, he was very young when he passed away.

-Romy Macias