This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Greetings!

Barbara

I've been visiting this site for a few months now and find it so informative and interesting. I thought it was about time I offically said hello. I was a ballet student for most of my younger life until college and children became my focus. Most of my ballet studies were done in So. Calif. doing the RAD syllabus then with Sallie Whalen in Hollywood and the recently departed lovely Stanley Holden. Also learned so much from El Gabriel at UCI and Clinton Rothwell from Nat'l Ballet of Canada. So many wonderful teachers and memories. Now I've been living in the NYC suburbs for 13 years and am simply a devoted ballet fan - especially love ABT. I'm jealous of those of you that see so much ballet - in the past I've only budgeted myself one ballet ticket a year - usually a very good seat during ABT's Met season. But now, and partially due to this site, I've decided that I really must see more dance even if it means being high in the balcony. So for the first time I'm going to several fall performances and am so excited. Not to sound too schmaltzy but there is so much ugliness in the world that bringing this kind of beauty into one's life just fills the soul. I'll end by saying that I've recently started taking an adult ballet class, which is sooooo hard - a lesson in humility since I know the steps but the body doesn't cooperate. It's still lovely being at the barre again. Thanks for this site. I'm really enjoying myself here.

Barbara

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Barbara! We'd love to hear your impressions of the performances you're going to see this season.

You also may be interested in our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers, which has two forums for Adult ballet students:

Adult Ballet Students

Adult Ballet Students Buddy Board

You can only look at a limited number of older posts without being registered. Registration on BT4D is separate, but worth it if you find like minds there.

Glad to have you here, Barbara. I hope you'll share with your fellow Ballet Talk members what you're experience as you begin attending performances again.

I'll end by saying that I've recently started taking an adult ballet class, which is sooooo hard - a lesson in humility since I know the steps but the body doesn't cooperate. It's still lovely being at the barre again.
Me, too. 2 1/2 years ago. :):) It's one of the best things I've ever done in a long life, and it makes looking at ballet richer than I could ever have imagined.

:dry:

I've recently started taking an adult ballet class, which is sooooo hard

Hi. Barbara!!...wow, that's great that you went back to take classes. That's one thing i've always dreamed about, but has never happened...Sometimes i bike my way to the MCB studios and watch the adult class from the glass window. :blushing:

Anyway, Welcome!

Hi Christian (aka CMB)

Biking to the studio and watching the adult classes is a step closer than I am to taking adult classes. You are almost on the other side of the glass window.!!! BTW: I enjoy your posts and your beloved Alicia Alonso is a friend of my aunt's.

I've been visiting this site for a few months now and find it so informative and interesting. I thought it was about time I offically said hello. I was a ballet student for most of my younger life until college and children became my focus. Most of my ballet studies were done in So. Calif. doing the RAD syllabus then with Sallie Whalen in Hollywood and the recently departed lovely Stanley Holden. Also learned so much from El Gabriel at UCI and Clinton Rothwell from Nat'l Ballet of Canada. So many wonderful teachers and memories. Now I've been living in the NYC suburbs for 13 years and am simply a devoted ballet fan - especially love ABT. I'm jealous of those of you that see so much ballet - in the past I've only budgeted myself one ballet ticket a year - usually a very good seat during ABT's Met season. But now, and partially due to this site, I've decided that I really must see more dance even if it means being high in the balcony. So for the first time I'm going to several fall performances and am so excited. Not to sound too schmaltzy but there is so much ugliness in the world that bringing this kind of beauty into one's life just fills the soul. I'll end by saying that I've recently started taking an adult ballet class, which is sooooo hard - a lesson in humility since I know the steps but the body doesn't cooperate. It's still lovely being at the barre again. Thanks for this site. I'm really enjoying myself here.

Barbara

Good luck with the classes. You are braver than I. But I wonder if you know where Sallie Whalen is now? I think she is still in this world and I would like to write to her. My son was a student in her studios for a number of years. If you know how to reach her, I'd be grateful to know--though I don't quite know whether that info can be conveyed in this venue. I so well remember some of Sallie's staff--Sandra Behm (whom I'd also like to reach) and the wonderful late Carol Megeghan (sp?). If you can't tell me here, I'm in the Santa Monica phone book. Alan Buster