This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Stars in Queens

drb

Thanks drb. I love these sort of events - a good chance to see dancers take on roles they don't normally get a chance to do. I might be suspicious but this looks like the group Nilas Martins normally heads. This one is helmed by Darci Kistler. It's like a NYCB shell company.

Darci Kistler is AD for a group of City Ballet dancers, including Ms. Kistler, Jared Angle, Joaquin De Luz, Ask La Cour, Amar Ramasar, Ashley Bouder, Sara A. Mearns, and Kaitlyn Gilliland, that will give three performances in Queens in October.

http://queenstheatre.org/dance.html

Be careful not to buy the tickets solely based on individuals performing (though we already know that), as one online ad I saw didn't list J.Angle or Bouder, but did list Evans.

-amanda

That is a really awful website, hard to navigate to the programs, you can't copy the info, and they don't even seem to give the actual location of the theater....it's just, "in the park..." Very amateurish.

If you look all the way to the right on the menu bar there is a selection for Directions. You take the #7 train out to Shea and then there is a trolly to the park

Why are these NYCB dancers portraying themselves as American Ballet stars? Why not NYCB Stars or New York Ballet stars or New York's Ballet Stars? The marketing name selected for this group invites confusion with ABT and hovers on the verge of misrepresentation.

Why are these NYCB dancers portraying themselves as American Ballet stars? Why not NYCB Stars or New York Ballet stars or New York's Ballet Stars? The marketing name selected for this group invites confusion with ABT and hovers on the verge of misrepresentation.

This could be a decision made by the marketing department of the presenter, rather than the dancers. We've all seen ads for "Stars of the Russian Ballet" who may turn out to be Mariinsky or the Shminsk Dance Company.

i seem to recall when a group led by heather watts, jock soto and damian woetzel (if mem. serves woetzel danced apollo in the programming) played in holmdale nj in the 90's there was an attempt to use 'stars of new york city ballet' or some such name but that there was a problem w/ using NYCB's ident for a reduced, independent one-off group. if i recall correctly there were legal grounds to prevent the use of NYCB name and thus the need for a more 'neutral' name - but as i say, this is a somewhat vague recollection.

With performances set for this weekend, I hope some BT'ers will report on the show, especially in light of the (incomplete) casting information given by Appolinaire Scherr, reported in the October 5 Links.

Kaitlyn Gilliland and Ask la Cour will perform the Pretzel Dance from Agon, for which they've been understudies since last fall. Ms. Gilliland, seen by some fans as a future carrier of the Farrell Torch at NYCB, is quoted as saying, with Suzanne-like modesty, "It is not as hot [for the dancers] as it is for the audience."

Sara A. Mearns and Amar Ramasar will dance the Odile/Siegfried Black Swan PdD, with Scherr quoting Ms. Mearns as saying "I love dancing with him onstage. It's easier because I'm with him all the time. I've never felt more comfortable."

Darci Kistler, the troupe's leader, will dance two PdD's with Jared Angle, to music of Ray Charles and Samuel Barber. Other program details were not given by Scherr, but the pairings mentioned should be of great interest to many who read this board.