Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dale

Erik Bruhn video

14 posts in this topic

Try amazon.com, it's cheaper.

For some reason I cannot find the video through Amazon. Am I just missing it?

Dale,

do you think you could tell us whats on the video, is it performance or a documenatry?

thanks

There are some performances (some wonderful footage, IMO) and some interviews. It's a "portrait of the artist" and not a standard biography. My memory is that it's about half-and-half (dancing and talking) but I won't swear to that smile.gif

And if you are an Bruhn buff, get the DVD of his Giselle with Carla Fracci. Gorgeous!

Does anyone know if the video is compatible with british video machines?

Samba 38, i was given that DVD for my birthday and although the actual filming and some of the camera work can be enfuruating, the avtual dancing is superb!

The camerawork in the "Giselle" video is indeed maddening. Bruhn or Toni Lander will be demonstrating some stupendous bit of technique, and instead of just letting us watch there'll be a dissolve or a cut to something to keep the proceedings "cinematic."

Yes, the "Giselle" camerawork is maddening. Especially the part where it seems as though they've strapped a camera to Bruhn's head so that you can see what he sees when he does a double air turn. The '60s were a time of experimentation smile.gif

yes the lake side pdd where u see more of the lake than the pdd was also a low point!!

Wonderfull dancing though.

especially as i wasnt around to see this era in person!

Yes, unsatisfactory video is better than none at all (most of the time, anyway). Of course, we don't want our ballet history by video alone. There's hardly any commercial video available of Gelsey Kirkland, for example, but you can enjoy a surfeit of Karin von Aroldingen, if you're so inclined. Go figure.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0