This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vishneva's first 'Soviet' Nikiya?

Natalia

Can anyone please tell me when Vishneva first essayed the complete role of Nikiya in the Soviet (not 'new-old') version of La Bayadere? I realise that she danced the 'Shades scene' at her graduation from the Vaganova Academy, which I attended. I next 'met' Vishneva's Nikiya in the 2002 new-old production, at NYC, then in StP at the 03 Mariinsky Fest. By Fall 2005 she was dancing in the Soviet production at the Mariinsky, the new-old version having been retired.

Somehow, I don't recall Vishneva having danced Nikiya in the full Soviet production prior to the new-old reconstruction in 2002. Back in the late 90s/early '00s, Nikiya was danced by either Lopatkina, Assylmuratova, Nioradze or Zakharova. Does anyone recall seeing Vishneva in the Soviet version back then? Thanks, in advance, for your insights.

Thanks, Cygnet. Your note inspired me to dig further, in DV's own website. That one indicates 2001 as the year of her Nikiya debut in the Soviet version:

http://www.vishneva.ru/eng/biography.htm

So it appears that she did it one season before the 'new-old' version took over (for a while). Now I recall that, during that period, Lopatkina began her long period away from the stage for various resons (motherhood & injuries). Vishneva's debut performance -- with Ruzimatov as Solor and Osmolkina as Gamzatti -- never made the initial casting lists, which is what I save in binders. I think I've found my explanation.