2 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:46 AM

Can anyone please tell me when Vishneva first essayed the complete role of Nikiya in the Soviet (not 'new-old') version of La Bayadere? I realise that she danced the 'Shades scene' at her graduation from the Vaganova Academy, which I attended. I next 'met' Vishneva's Nikiya in the 2002 new-old production, at NYC, then in StP at the 03 Mariinsky Fest. By Fall 2005 she was dancing in the Soviet production at the Mariinsky, the new-old version having been retired.

Somehow, I don't recall Vishneva having danced Nikiya in the full Soviet production prior to the new-old reconstruction in 2002. Back in the late 90s/early '00s, Nikiya was danced by either Lopatkina, Assylmuratova, Nioradze or Zakharova. Does anyone recall seeing Vishneva in the Soviet version back then? Thanks, in advance, for your insights.

#2 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi Natalia!

According to Marc Haegeman's repetroire chronological list, her Nikiya debut in the Soviet Ponomarev/Chabukiani "Bayadere" was in 2000. It doesn't give the date.

http://www.for-balle...com/Dina10.html

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Cygnet. Your note inspired me to dig further, in DV's own website. That one indicates 2001 as the year of her Nikiya debut in the Soviet version:

http://www.vishneva....g/biography.htm

So it appears that she did it one season before the 'new-old' version took over (for a while). Now I recall that, during that period, Lopatkina began her long period away from the stage for various resons (motherhood & injuries). Vishneva's debut performance -- with Ruzimatov as Solor and Osmolkina as Gamzatti -- never made the initial casting lists, which is what I save in binders. I think I've found my explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):