33 replies to this topic

#31 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Of course when we speak of the "perfect" form or beautifully proportioned dancers, one cannot think of them as statues, but how they move their bods.

Actually, I read this thread, and its male counterpart, and have replied, thinking of statues. :-) Bodies as bodies. Movement is something else, and while obviously there's a feedback loop between long bones and joints on the one hand, and how that body moves on the other, I can easily separate the two.

I have heard that narrow hips are an advantage for elevation, a disadvantage for turnout.

#32 EAW

EAW

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

Any list of Most Beautifully Proportioned Female Dancers has to include Jennifer Penney. Her dancing may have sometimes lacked power and presence, but what a body...and what a fluid, elegant, effortless technique. Anyone who missed seeing her onstage can catch a glimpse of her in an excerpt from "Manon" on YouTube. She stood out among Royal Ballet dancers for that fluidity, especially in the back and arms.

#33 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

I certainly agree about Penny. I can never quite get her out of my mind when I see the first fairy in Sleeping Beauty or the shade that she danced. No one I have seen ever matched her boneless quality that was so matched to the music.

#34 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

I have heard that narrow hips are an advantage for elevation, a disadvantage for turnout.

I'd love to hear the physics behind this distinction. What explains it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):