This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Beautifully Proportioned Female Dancers

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Of course when we speak of the "perfect" form or beautifully proportioned dancers, one cannot think of them as statues, but how they move their bods.

Actually, I read this thread, and its male counterpart, and have replied, thinking of statues. :-) Bodies as bodies. Movement is something else, and while obviously there's a feedback loop between long bones and joints on the one hand, and how that body moves on the other, I can easily separate the two.

I have heard that narrow hips are an advantage for elevation, a disadvantage for turnout.

#32 EAW

EAW

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

Any list of Most Beautifully Proportioned Female Dancers has to include Jennifer Penney. Her dancing may have sometimes lacked power and presence, but what a body...and what a fluid, elegant, effortless technique. Anyone who missed seeing her onstage can catch a glimpse of her in an excerpt from "Manon" on YouTube. She stood out among Royal Ballet dancers for that fluidity, especially in the back and arms.

#33 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

I certainly agree about Penny. I can never quite get her out of my mind when I see the first fairy in Sleeping Beauty or the shade that she danced. No one I have seen ever matched her boneless quality that was so matched to the music.

#34 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

I have heard that narrow hips are an advantage for elevation, a disadvantage for turnout.

I'd love to hear the physics behind this distinction. What explains it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):