• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

I taped it and watched again tonight. Listening to Lacotte's narration, i was going back in time and thinking that it most be hard to understand for the western culture sometimes how terrified one could have been out of something that would go against the government, and defection is one of the worst things. I was observing the answers when the interviewer would ask to the russians about their thinking over Rudy's decision and the impact that it had on their life . Almost all of them would describe the event as a chaos, and with certain bitterness and negativity. Wanting to leave the country, the goverment that had given him everything, as they would proclame , was a crime, and it was viewed as a very bad thing. :off topic: I remember when i was a teen, all the good students would automatically join the CYU (comunist youth union). Generally, the entrance to this organization would be denied to those who were bad students with pro-delinquent attitudes. Basically, the good people were "awarded" the entrance, and it was not necesarily a political thing. Those who didn't belong were outcasted, and generally trouble makers. There were very few cases of apolitical students, who never asked to join the organization and were left out too. Those were generally considered rare specimens, (i was one of then). Nowadays Nureyev's situation would look as a very old and out of reality story with Marinsky and S. Petersbourg back in the vocabulary, (i must confess that i still call it Leningrad, as i learnt it), but let's not forget that there are still communist governments and struggling dancers who still defect and have to pay the consequences of being outcasted from their own countries . Please, next time we watch Rolando Sarabia (Miami City Ballet), or Lorena Feijoo (San Francisco Ballet, to mention just two examples of the loooong list), let's not forget that they are the modern cases of this phenomenom, and that they don't have the privileges that others who have decided to colaborate with the cuban goverment have.

#62 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:44 AM

I could have sworn there was discussion on this thread about RN's sexuality. Did that get snipped, perhaps in homage to Soviet-era cultural control? Just kidding...

#63 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

I could have sworn there was discussion on this thread about RN's sexuality. Did that get snipped, perhaps in homage to Soviet-era cultural control? Just kidding...

There are currently a number of Nureyev threads in process on BT. This one --
http://ballettalk.in...showtopic=25514 --
began as a discussion of Nureyev and demi-pointe and digressed into other issues when a rather negative article about Nureyev by Lewis Segal was Linked. I think this is the one you are thinking of, Ray. And it's still there! :)

#64 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

There are currently a number of Nureyev threads in process on BT. This one --
http://ballettalk.in...showtopic=25514 --
began as a discussion of Nureyev and demi-pointe and digressed into other issues when a rather negative article about Nureyev by Lewis Segal was Linked. I think this is the one you are thinking of, Ray. And it's still there! :)

No, that's not the one, unless I'm just not seeing it. I remember that someone posted something to the effect of why sexuality was important to RN, since it "made him dead."

#65 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

http://ballettalk.in...p...c=25451&hl=

#66 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

No, that's not the one, unless I'm just not seeing it

Ray, I'm sorry. I forgot that Helene started a new thread to cover the Segal discussion. Mme. Hermine, than's for linking to it. :)

#67 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

Those who enjoyed the "trick photography"-like effect of Nureyev's dancing in this film might like to compare Farrell's in the restored Don Quixote film to start showings at the NYPL tomorrow, I believe. (A NY friend, BTW, though not on NYPL staff, thinks it'll be generally available for viewing in the library starting the 20th.)

Anyway, spectacular as N's sequences are, F does much more complex ones, to my eye. Even more spectacular? What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):