This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Whatever happened to Loys?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

I already regret posting that :clapping: Before we get off on New Ballets with Interesting Character Names, let's get back to Loys as a lost character (not just a name).

Does the ballet "Giselle" need the audience to know that Giselle thinks Albrecht's name is Loys?

#17 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

Probably not, I suppose. After all is there any law that a peasant can't be named Albrecht? But I like detail, and it just seems to make special note of his duplicity. The cad - poor girl doesn't even know his real name.

#18 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

i have no idea why Loys got dropped. i feel it should be noted, if not in the cast list then in the synopsis of the ballet that's usually printed as a program note.
my pre-primitive reading of the synopsis printed in the '62 kirov th. prog begins: "Count Albert [more or less] is infatuated? with the young-woman, Giselle."
i can find no russian translation for LOYS anywhere in the synopsis.
btw, i should have translitered DRUG GRAFA as DROOG GRAFA, i suppose.

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Does the ballet "Giselle" need the audience to know that Giselle thinks Albrecht's name is Loys?

I think it's one of those superfluous pieces of information that adds nothing to the audience's experience of the plot. Albrecht himself should convey the difference between his false and true personas-- and the Giselle, and all the villagers, should also reveal this in their responses to him. If they don't manage that, no amount of program-padding will help.

#20 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Not necessarily so specifically, but I assume most of the villagers would be aware of the names of their local aristocracy, so it would be prudent, then, for the Count to assume an alias -- any alias -- just as an extra measure of disguise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):