This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Black ballet dancers

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 10:53 PM

What about Desmond Richardson?

#32 bijoux

bijoux

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 11:08 PM

oh yes,Desmond is beautiful.I saw him when he was with Alvin Ailey and more recently(about two or three years ago) when he danced with "Fosse".I remember what struck me when he was in Ailey was just how long and classical his lines were.Of course the company has gone through some changes over the years and there are many more like him now,but at the time he was one of a few.Did anyone mention Mel Tomlinson?I never saw him dance,but he was in New York City Ballet and Boston Ballet wasn't he?another dancer from the history books is Ronald Perry.Did anyone see him dance?He was in American Ballet Theatre for a while and he danced in Europe and then with Dance Theatre of Harlem.I actually think he was with DTH a few times in his carer,but I'm not too sure.

#33 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 01:51 AM

I'd like to put in a word for Tai Jimenez, who was a principal dancer with DTH (we were classmates at Darvash in the 80's), a beautifully sculpted dancer and quite a beauty as well. And possessing a will of iron.

#34 Lilly

Lilly

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 09:27 AM

Also John Alleyne who danced with NBoC. He now directs and choreographs for Ballet British Columbia (not a strictly classical company but nonetheless...). Here's the link: [url="http://"http://www.balletbc.com/company.htm"]http://www.balletbc.com/company.htm[/url]

#35 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 12:37 PM

Oscar Hawkins - a Jackson IBC semi-finalist in 1998 - is a heavenly dancer. Last time that I checked, he was a soloist at Cleveland-San Jose Ballet (or its successor name). I've lost track of him...anybody know where he is, these days?

The male 'star' of this year's Kirov Academy/Washington, DC spring performance was a very promising African-American, Danny Tidwell....beautiful jump, tons of charisma (the 'it' factor) and the face of Jose-Manuel Carreno. ;) [As academy reviews are off-limits on this forum, you missed my praises of his 'Coppelia pdd' with Ashley Canterna.] Danny will compete in the Jr division at the upcoming Shanghai IBC. Keep him on your radar screen.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

#36 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 01:48 PM

Jeannie,
All school/student performance reviews are off-limits here, not just the Kirov Academy's.
One has only to read the thread on ballet.co about the Royal Ballet School's spring performances to see why......
what a mess.

#37 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, Juliet. I took Jeannie's "academy" reference to be small "a," as in dance school. (And please, let's not rehash this issue again :) )

I'd missed pmeja's mention of Albert Evans -- it came up on the end of a page, and there was a post that followed it quickly, so more people might have missed it as well.

#38 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 02:15 PM

You're right, Alexandra. It is indeed a lower-case "a."

#39 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 03:44 PM

So sorry. I was simply being careful, and have no interest in reopening this issue.

#40 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 04:03 PM

Thanks to both of you :)

#41 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 04:09 PM

And what about Misty Copeland, a new corps member of ABT this season? She was the object of much media interest (on TV's 20/20 & other news shows) a couple of years ago, due to a problem with her initial teacher, plus her 'raw' talent & extraordinary beauty.

#42 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 05:34 PM

Jeannie, I haven't been too impressed with Misty from the couple of performances that I've seen of her (classically speaking), but I'll have to see how she develops! Danny Tidwell was a sensation when he performed with Rasta's group in Japan last year; many commented that they liked him even more than Rasta! Best wishes to him at the Shanghai IBC.

#43 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 09:22 PM

Terace Jones danced with Bejart, Washington Ballet, PNB, Joffrey and now the touring company of Fosse.

#44 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the further insights on Tidwell, Terry.

I have never seen Misty Copeland 'live' - only on those TV programs during the troubles with her teacher, a few years back. She was in none of the ABT programs that I saw this year. She's very young & just beginning her prof'l career.

#45 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 01:37 PM

misty copeland was one of the four swans in a performance i recently saw of kevin mckenzie's 'swan lake'. she did well. she's a talented girl and as she grows it would be nice to see her in more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):