This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Shanghai International Ballet Competition

If you go to the website and click on Press, you will get the list of finalists. I believe there are three evenings of final round, and the gala and awards ceremony is Tuesday. DS has some friends there so we have been checking.

DD has several friends there also.

If you go to the website and click on Press, you will get the list of finalists. I believe there are three evenings of final round, and the gala and awards ceremony is Tuesday. DS has some friends there so we have been checking.

DD has several friends there also.

6 out of 10 entrants from Korea National University of the Arts placed or had honorable mention. It is an extraordinary school.

And Jr. Male Gold? None other than Yonah Acosta - Carlos' nephew!

"De tal palo tal astilla", is a cuban saying that comes to my mind when i read this, which in its english translation would be something like "From that wood stick, here is a splinter". That boy will make ballet history, like his uncle. Here is a fragment of Wendy Perron's article "Under Cubas's spell" from the march 2007 issue of "Dance Magazine":

"As we were filing in to observe a men's class, one 17-year-old boy instantly caught our eyes. Yonah Gonzalez Acosta looked heaven-sent, with a lithe body and beautiful feet. He is Carlos Acosta's nephew, and he radiates the same extraordinary grace his uncle has".

http://www.dancemedia.com/issues/March-200...der-Cubas-Spell

Congratulations, Yonah! :)

With an aunt who helps get him a guesting opportunity at the Bolshoi and a nephew(supposing it is his nephew) who wins the Shanghai International Ballet Competition, Carlos Acosta has some great family connections.

Two wonderful, familiar names:

1. 'Junior' Acosta of Cuba -- jr gold in Shanghai'07-- won the junior men's silver medal at last year's Beijing Int'l Ballet Competition. Check this out -- a DVD of that complete competition:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code...pid-1004775283/

I ordered and received it within two weeks. However, make sure that you have an 'all regions' DVD player if you live outside a 'PAL-format' country. The DVD set shows the entire competition on 5 DVDs, including the final awards gala. In addition to 'Junior,' a huge stand-out in Beijing was Delia Matthews of the Royal Ballet School, then only age 14 or 15.

2. Wu Husheng of China -- sr gold in Shanghai '07-- won the top male prize AND the ABT Studio Company contract at the recent NY-IBC2007 in New York. He is terrific, with long elegant line, gorgeous feet and a genuine charismatic manner.