This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which ballet do You think is the most boring You've ever seen?

Graduation Ball. I only saw it once at an ABT performance in the late 70's. I can't say if it was the performance or the ballet; I'd be willing to give it another chance. As I was watching it I was overwhelmed by the cutesy hammy performances and had the strongest negative reaction I have ever had to a ballet. I was grateful that I had not brought along a newcomer to ballet thinking that this was the type of thing that caused people to really hate ballet.

The Concert. Thank goodness that NYCB usually programs it at the end of a triple bill. I just leave at the 2nd intermission.

Good thing that they do that so those who know it are not forced to stay 'till the end of the night waiting for a third favored one. I think they suspected this practice down here at MCB and now they are presenting the contemporary piece right in the middle. I used to do the same as you, but I couldn't in this program... :mad: BUT when time comes to the Broward performances, I'm DEFINITELY getting out on the lobby with a book to wait out there for the third ballet.

I agree about The Concert. Actually, it might be wrong to say it is boring, it it worse, its downright puerile. Then of course, I wouldnt put my hard-earned cash on anything by Ek. The works are not only boring, they are also unaestechic (sp?).

Which is worse is hard to tell, simply boring sends me to sleep or my mind wonders and I withdraw into myself, whereas ugly works puts me in a rage. Then of course, it all depends, a ballet can be very boring with one company and much less so with another.

The Concert. Thank goodness that NYCB usually programs it at the end of a triple bill. I just leave at the 2nd intermission.

Good thing that they do that so those who know it are not forced to stay 'till the end of the night waiting for a third favored one. I think they suspected this practice down here at MCB and now they are presenting the contemporary piece right in the middle. I used to do the same as you, but I couldn't in this program... :mad: BUT when time comes to the Broward performances, I'm DEFINITELY getting out on the lobby with a book to wait out there for the third ballet.

I don't know, Christian, you might enjoy it! I've seen it many times and always find it funny and delightful. I'm not the only one, either, The times when I saw it sitting in the first ring, theater left, it would be crowded with company members who weren't in it, and they would be howling with laughter!!!

Good thing that they do that so those who know it are not forced to stay 'till the end of the night waiting for a third favored one.

I don't know, Christian, you might enjoy it! I've seen it many times and always find it funny and delightful. I'm not the only one, either, The times when I saw it sitting in the first ring, theater left, it would be crowded with company members who weren't in it, and they would be howling with laughter!!!

I agree, VC. So many times I've thought, "I'll sit here and endure another Concert. I know all the jokes. It won't be funny." And even though I anticipate every one of the "punchlines," I find myself laughing at them.
Which is worse is hard to tell, simply boring sends me to sleep or my mind wonders and I withdraw into myself, whereas ugly works puts me in a rage.
I'd rather have something -- anything -- to respond to. Give me ugly, offensive, sadistic if the only alternative is blah.