Which ballet do You think is the most boring You've ever seen?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#46 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Usually dancers,and ballet fans do not usually find boring a ballet.But when It happens It means It is really really boring.In your own opinion,which ballet did You find boring when You saw it?
I really can't stand Romeo&Juliet as a whole.If It's an extract ok.The whole becomes very boring,especially MacMillan's version.And then everything that's contemporary.I love to dance it,but to be watched,I admit It is boring when It's not a highly genial choreography.
Now It's up to You.

Calcium Light Night by Peter Martins, one of the first pieces he choreographed

#47 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

I can't stand this piece either, nor the music.

#48 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

I can't stand this piece either, nor the music.

It makes me want to poke my eyes out with a stick and I agree with you on the music. It is like nails on a chalk board.

#49 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

I would say Watermill. I just couldn't get it and I thought it would never end

I was at one performance when people where boo-ing and walking out. It is not a good ballet but I felt so horrible for Edward Villella. I don't think NYCB has performed it since the 70's.

#50 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

I would say Watermill. I just couldn't get it and I thought it would never end

I was at one performance when people where boo-ing and walking out. It is not a good ballet but I felt so horrible for Edward Villella. I don't think NYCB has performed it since the 70's.

I don't know whether it's a ballet at all, and I certainly wouldn't put the music on to listen to, but I love it. :)

Villella returned to dance the role twice, at around age 50. He brought with it all that he had gained in the years between. It was his belated farewell to the company. Quite wistful and melacholy. I won't forget those performances.

I believe Robbie LaFosse was to have danced it, but I don't know if he ever did.

#51 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I forget the occasion, but Watermill was also danced post-Villella at NYCB by Jean Guizerix..

#52 mjbelkin

mjbelkin

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

It saddens me to see that a number of people find Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet boring - I get so absorbed in what's happening, I can't watch it without ending up in tears.

I love everything about it, from the beautiful score by Prokofiev, the wonderful fight scenes and set pieces, the humour in Mercutio's dancing, and the beautiful pas de deux. And the way Juliet's dancing matures from the innocent child at the beginning to a woman facing the biggest decision in her life at the end, when she sits motionless on the bed.

I love it, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

#53 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

It saddens me to see that a number of people find Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet boring - I get so absorbed in what's happening, I can't watch it without ending up in tears.

I love everything about it, from the beautiful score by Prokofiev, the wonderful fight scenes and set pieces, the humour in Mercutio's dancing, and the beautiful pas de deux. And the way Juliet's dancing matures from the innocent child at the beginning to a woman facing the biggest decision in her life at the end, when she sits motionless on the bed.

I love it, too, and the Prokofiev score is probably one of the great reasons why--a masterpiece. I do find 'Cinderella' very boring though, and the Prokofiev score is not nearly so great for that either. I didn't even like the video of Sylvie Guillem doing it with POB much. But the MacMillan R & J is one of the greats for me. Saw very little in that short version by Sean Lavery, and haven't seen Peter Martins's version, nor care to that much.

#54 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

I love it, too, and the Prokofiev score is probably one of the great reasons why--a masterpiece. I do find 'Cinderella' very boring though, and the Prokofiev score is not nearly so great for that either. I didn't even like the video of Sylvie Guillem doing it with POB much. But the MacMillan R & J is one of the greats for me. Saw very little in that short version by Sean Lavery, and haven't seen Peter Martins's version, nor care to that much.

I agree on both counts. (I did see Martins' however, and was bored).
My main problem with cinderella is that its the same SORT of bombastic score. THis works for R&J, but seems totally wrong with a story like Cinderella to me

#55 mjbelkin

mjbelkin

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

I think that Prokofiev's score for Cinderella is a lot harsher, and I'm no fan of the Royal Ballet's production with male dancers playing the ugly sisters. I found the recording by POB with Sylvie Guillem was a better production, but still not one I'd go to see often.

#56 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

My idea of boring? Anything by Antony Tudor.

#57 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

"Antique Epigraphs"

#58 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

"Antique Epigraphs"

Yes, but I love the music.

#59 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:03 PM

My idea of boring? Anything by Antony Tudor.

..."Jardin aux Lilas" included...? :off topic:

#60 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:23 AM

keeping in mind that he also choreographed some of the most sublime ballets i've ever seen, i'd nominate balanchine's 'persephone'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):