This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Most memorable Swan Lake endings... ?good or bad

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

I love the ending of Sir Peter Wright's production of the Swedish Royal Ballet where after they drown, Benno fishes Siegfried's body from the lake. The final tableux is very bitter-sweet and incredibly moving.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Me, I keep waiting for them to decide to forget the whole thing, jump into a limo, and head for the baccarat tables in Monte Carlo.

#18 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

I'm cofnused--that Crnako article makes it sound like him havign an unhappy ending was a first--but didn't they die in all the Russian versions pre revolution? Does the Bolshoi have a sad or happy ending? I don't mind the Sergyev/Kirov version except that happy ending--even as a kid I knew that Swan Lake was meant to be sad... Shessh! :(

#19 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

in haste and in brief, the happy ending(s) to SWAN LAKE came into being in Soviet Russia.
certainly per-revolution, russian productions, employed the tragic ending w/ apotheosis as given in both the original and 1895 librettos.
Vaganova's 1930s production used a happy ending.
later, in the 1960s?, when Grigorovich proposed to re-instate the original ending in Soviet Russia, he was prevailed upon by the authorities not to do so.
i assume earlier Messere, post-Gorsky production for the Bolshoi also presented a happy ending.
too bad Demidov's monograph on SWAN LAKE has never been translated into english.

#20 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

So does Girgorovich's current Bolshoi production use the happy ending? I always wondered why Sawn Lake had to have a happy ending in the Soviet era but Bayadere, Giselle, etc, never did...

#21 lalalei2001

lalalei2001

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

I like the Paris Opera Ballet ending, where Rothbart kills Siegfried and takes Odette away. The scene really suits the music.

#22 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

I always wondered why Sawn Lake had to have a happy ending in the Soviet era but Bayadere, Giselle, etc, never did...

Communist doctrine did not dictate a "happy ending" but a resolution in this world. Communists were atheists who did not believe in a Christian afterlife where one could find happiness. Odette and Siegfried could not find happiness in an after life, but only during this life, if at all. Much of the challenge to Communism over the years came from the Christian religion in the Soviet Union and the nations of the Warsaw Pact who rejected atheism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):