This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

super short notice: BARYSHNIKOV ON NEWSHOUR

i just got word from a connection to baryshnikov arts center that a segment on Baryshnikov is due to air tonight, 17 july - i'm told nyc area should expect the segment around 7:30 - can't promise anything more, that's all i know, and barring unforeseen calamities it might just appear as planned.

i suppose this hour repeats variously around the country.

i just got word from a connection to baryshnikov arts center that a segment on Baryshnikov is due to air tonight, 17 july - i'm told nyc area should expect the segment around 7:30 - can't promise anything more, that's all i know, and barring unforeseen calamities it might just appear as planned.

i supposed this hour repeats variously around the country.

Thanks for the heads up!!

I usually watch the news hour but not always--I'll definitely make sure tonight is one of those I see.

Everything you imagine. Baryshnikov Arts Center and his work with younger choreographers (notably Ms. Barton and Mr. Millepied), aging, and the unimaginable fact that people (Baryshnikov agreeing with Jeffrey Brown's characterization of them as "suckers") actually pay money to watch other people doing things on a stage! Plus, MB's plans to appear in four Sam Shepherd plays this fall.

The NewsHour page has a link, but it's not working through my browser.

Editing to add: It works now; the link opens audio, but no video. Can you believe that?! o: They give Senator Graham the full video treatment, but not a peek at the dancing? So we miss the opportunity to see the Millepied piece, in which the choreographer has the chutzpah to place the man in front of a video of his teenaged self. That was one of the examples of courage I had in mind.

Edited by carbro

the plays MB is about to perform are by samuel beckett not sam shepherd - the latter is/was? married to jessica lang, the mother of MB's first child. i don't know if the beckett plays have been specficially identified yet.

Editing to add: It works now; the link opens audio, but no video. Can you believe that?! o: They give Senator Graham the full video treatment, but not a peek at the dancing? So we miss the opportunity to see the Millepied piece, in which the choreographer has the chutzpah to place the man in front of a video of his teenaged self. That was one of the examples of courage I had in mind.

I know, it's terrible. But if you cick Real Audio, it's funny - it's like a read-a-long. Just listen to the interview and read with them, word for word, and when it says 'Here, he dances...' and in '[t]his footage...' and the music comes on, you just have to imagine everything! :beg::excl:

I know, it's terrible. But if you cick Real Audio, it's funny - it's like a read-a-long. Just listen to the interview and read with them, word for word, and when it says 'Here, he dances...' and in '[t]his footage...' and the music comes on, you just have to imagine everything! :beg::excl:

I believe its on youtube :)

and mel, do you mean the moment when he's watching himself do pirouettes? :beg:

Yes, there's a loop going on in the film, so he's doing about twenty-something pirouettes from one preparation, but the live Mischa goes upstage with his whole body saying, "What the hell is going on here?"