This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in So. California, July 12-22: Rep, Othello & Sleeping Beauty

Yes, thank you all for the reports! It's great to hear how well the Lane/Cornejo debut went, and I'm so relieved to hear that the changes they've made are for the better...hopefully there will be more changes before we see it again at the next Met season.

Did anyone see Part's Lilac Fairy? That and Lane's debut are the 2 performances I really wish we'd gotten to see in NY!

Did anyone see Part's Lilac Fairy? That and Lane's debut are the 2 performances I really wish we'd gotten to see in NY!

I was trying to get to the Lane/Cornejo debut, but circumstances prevented me. On the fortunate side, I was able to make the Wiles/Hallberg/Part martinee performance and was able to witness the Part performance as the Lilac Fairy.

I must admit, I was never really on board the Veronika Part train until I saw her Nikiya at the Met this summer when she completely blew me away with her presence and musicality. Her Lilac Fairy was all graciousness and warmth, underscored by her ability to luxuriate in every movement.

Otherwise, I very much enjoyed Wiles and Hallberg as Aurora and Desire. Wiles had a very shaky Sylvia in OC last year, and this was a much better performance. I felt like both were still in a work-in-progress stage with their performances, especially Wiles but the development under the tutelage of Gelsey Kirkland is palpable. (And for sheer fairy tale couple appearance, Wiles and Hallberg cannot be beat.)