This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grand Pas Classique

As with most ballets, I tend to like a ballet if it is well danced artistically and techincally. :cool: I have wonderful memories of seeing Grand pas Classique in Russia, performed by Diana Vishneva while she was still in school. Quite remarkable. :clapping: No complaints from me!

Some of the music gets on my nerves but apart from that I don't mind it. I do like the female variation.

Didn't Cynthia Gregory hate it, or did I just make that up?

I wouldn't dream of speaking for her, but Cynthia did make fun of it in one performance. She pretended to smoke and then put out a cigarette during her variation. That, to me, would indicate that she (at least at that time) did not hold the piece in high regard.

Some of the music gets on my nerves but apart from that I don't mind it. I do like the female variation.

I wouldn't dream of speaking for her, but Cynthia did make fun of it in one performance. She pretended to smoke and then put out a cigarette during her variation. That, to me, would indicate that she (at least at that time) did not hold the piece in high regard.

At the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Sylvie Guillem also sent it up with her hair in a red bob cut.

if mem. serves gregory's gag with GPC was to pretend she was flicking ashes from a cigarette as she executed the methodical diagonal of releve/ballone moves that are part of her variation.

i think she tried to show what a breeze such would-be challenging moves were for her, and not to necessarily show her disdain for the choreography.

i gather, however, lucia chase was not amused.

Does all the music for the pas de deux come from Daniel Auber's "Le dieu et la Bayadere"

and if so doen't it make you wonder what the rest of the music is like?

ED: For clarication and wider interest.

Apologies if this is non u behaviour.