This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Boston Ballet Summer Tour in Spain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ruteyo

ruteyo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

BOSTON BALLET SPAIN TOUR 2007

Boston Ballet will embark on a six-week tour of Spain in July, 2007, a trip that will take the Company to six festivals in various regions of the country. Boston Ballet will travel to Las Palmas, Madrid, Santander, Peralada, Mallorca and San Sebastian, and present two programs: Sorella Englund’s staging of August Bournonville’s La Sylphide, and an all-Balanchine bill made up of Serenade, Who Cares?, and The Four Temperaments. This is the first tour for the Company under Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen’s directorship, and the first engagement abroad for Boston Ballet since 1991.

The tour opens on July 25 with four performances at the Festival of Theater and Dance in Las Palmas, capital city of Gran Canaria, third largest of the Grand Canary Islands. The Company then moves on to the Madrid Summer Festival for four performances at the open air Sabatini Gardens, beginning August 1. The tour continues on the northern coast of Spain at the International Festival of Santander, with three performances at Festival Hall beginning on August 8. Then it’s on to the Castell de Peralada International Music Festival on August 14 for two performances at the open air Castle Gardens Auditorium, located on the grounds of a fourteenth-century castle. Peralada is situated between Figueres and the Costa Brava in the Alt Empordà region, about 90 miles from Barcelona. From there, Boston Ballet travels to the island of Mallorca for one performance at the Season of Ballet of Mallorca on August 18. The tour concludes in the Basque country of San Sebastian at the Quincena Musical Festival, where performances begin on August 21.

TOUR SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE / FESTIVAL WEBSITES (subject to change)

Auditorio de Tenerife, Tenerife
July 20: La Sylphide
July 21: La Sylphide

Festival of Theater and Dancer, Las Palmas
July 25: La Sylphide
July 26: La Sylphide
July 27: Classic Balanchine
July 28: Classic Balanchine

www.red2000.com
www.webtenerife.com
www.grancanaria.com

Madrid Summer Festival
August 1: La Sylphide
August 2: La Sylphide
August 3: Classic Balanchine
August 4: Classic Balanchine

www.munimadrid.es

International Festival of Santander
August 8: La Sylphide
August 9: La Sylphide
August 10: Classic Balanchine

www.turismodecantabria.com

Castell de Peralada International Music Festival
August 14: La Sylphide
August 15: Classic Balanchine

www.peralada.org
www.roses.cat

Season of Ballet of Mallorca
August 18: La Sylphide

www.palmademallorca.es

Quincena Musical Festival of San Sebastian
August 21: La Sylphide
August 22: Classic Balanchine

www.donostia.org
www.sansebastianturismo.com

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

That's quite a tour -- and a marvellous opportunity for Spanish audiences to see an American company. I hope that some of our Spanish members will have the opportunity to attend -- and to report.

What do our Boston members think about the tour -- and the program?

#3 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

don't know about this one, but i do know that in 1991 when they went on the same tour, two of the ballets they brought were Allegro Brillante and a full length Giselle, which was being danced by Fernando Bujones and Trinidad Sevillano.

#4 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

That's quite a tour -- and a marvellous opportunity for Spanish audiences to see an American company. I hope that some of our Spanish members will have the opportunity to attend -- and to report.

I'm going to attend the two performances:

Castell de Peralada International Music Festival
August 14: La Sylphide
August 15: Classic Balanchine

and I'm anxious :flowers:

Summer in the Costa Brava and around are full of Festivals bringing good dance performances. This year we will have Tamara Rojo and a team of very good dancers from Royal Ballet, Mariinsky, ENB and Ballet Boyz in the Cap Roig, on August 7 & 8 A night with Tamara

as well as this fantastic program of the Boston a week later in Peralada.
:off topic:

#5 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

For those interested, Sarah Wroth, a company corps member will be keeping a diary of the company's trip to Spain:

http://bostonballet....nTourDiary.html

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

CarolinaM, I hope we'll be hearing from you about the performances you see! :smilie_mondieu:

#7 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Its the Mom for the link to the diary. What an articulate young lady! I am going to enjoy the tour through her eyes. Sounds amazing so far. I am always happy when our dancers have the opportunity to dance on the world's stages. A great step for Boston Ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):