This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!. My name is Cristian. I've been living in Miami for the past 5 years and ballet is my passion. I recently discovered this web site, and after a few mistakes (i'm so soooooooo bad with computers), i finally seem to understand how does it works, and actually i've posted a couple of times. I would love to see an increase of ballet culture in Miami, which i hope it happens after the recent opening of the new Carnival Center (Miami City Ballet new home). We have the honor to have Mr. Edward Willela (Balanchine's original "Prodigal Son") as director and our annual Ballet Festival, leaded by Mr. Pedro Pablo Pena, is getting better and better each year. Overall, i'm just looking forward to interact with you all!

Hope to see you around!:

Cristian

:thumbsup:

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Cirstian; we're very happy to have you with us. If you check our forums you'll see that we have a forum for Miami Ballet. This site is designed for ballet fans, and it covers just about every aspect of ballet you could desire. We hope you enjoy viewing what is offered on the various forums and sharing in our discussions.

Giannina

edited by Giannina 6/29/07

Hi, everyone!

It's been wonderful since i discovered Ballettalk. I wanted you all to know that i'm really happy to have met this great ballet lovers family and absorb all i can from its immense knowledge. Today is Christmas Day, and it's a beautiful thing to celebrate it with the freedom and happiness that lacks in other parts of this world. I just wanted to enjoy my feelings of joy with you all, and here is a link with my little Christmas postcard for everyone...

Merry Christmas!!! :sweatingbullets:

http://images.cafepress.com/product/767627...0x240_Front.jpg

We have the honor to have Mr. Edward Willela (Balanchine's original "Prodigal Son")

Cristian, just a historical note. Prodigal's Son is one of the oldest surviving Balanchine pieces. The premiere was in Paris in 1929, way before Eddie Villela's

time. The creator of the role was Serge Lifar, the French dancer who was also responsible for the of the twist and turns of in Balanchine's career.

Long story short, without Lifar's actions, Balanchine may have never come to the US and might have become the head of the ballet in Paris.

Long story short, without Lifar's actions, Balanchine may have never come to the US and might have become the head of the ballet in Paris.

Thank you richard53dog for sharing this piece of history. It was my mistake for not being completely clear about Eddie's role, but i was actually refering basically to the 1960 revival of the ballet, and its "american" status, gotten from Villela's interpretation.

BTW, wow..can you imagine if Mr. B. would have never come to the US...? :)

Merry Christmas Cristian, and Happy Holidays, all!

To you, Leigh ! :sweatingbullets:

Merry Christmas, Cristian! I had the most fabulous one I've ever had in Los Angeles, just got back last night and will report on Los Angeles Ballet's most charming Nutcracker, that had, among other things, Adam Luders and Colleen Neary as the Stahlbaums. The Clara/Dew-Drop--Lilit Hogtanian--was simply exquisite, but I'll get the program out in a few days and go into some detail. As for high extensions, Miss Hogtanian has them looking better than anyone I've ever seen perhaps, because her limbs seem literally made for them, rather than just 'being able to do them'--I guess I've become a total convert when they can look like this. She's 15 and just breathtaking.

Just adding to Richard's remark--I think that if you do search, there's a long thread during the last year or at least I'm pretty sure it's in 2006, about what would have happened if Balanchine had become the head ot the ballet in Paris. Since it's all hindsight, most seemed to wish to think, or to actually, think that this would have been tragic. I'm glad it's been brought up again, because while I really never was terribly interested in this sort of speculation, it does become more interesting when you begin to think that the result would have been much different, but equally elegant, if not as much fabulous exploiting of glorious American raw material. But then the ponderous phrases are cherished such as 'It is impossible to imagine this ballet company anywhere but in New York.' That sort of thing is okay if you're into all aspects of the 'quotes of legends', but it really all boils down to that it simply wasn't possible anyplace other than New York, even if for no other reason than because it did happen here. That's why the subject doesn't interest me at all, since it's impossible not to want to see what really did happen as what was the best possible outcome, since that outcome was extraordinary. But Balanchine would also have done wonders in Paris, although it might not have seemed as voluiptuous in an old country, I don't know. In any case, if this sort of speculation interests you, I do think there's a long piece of it somewhere in here.

Merry Christmas, Cristian! I had the most fabulous one I've ever had in Los Angeles, just got back last night and will report on Los Angeles Ballet's most charming Nutcracker[/b

Merry Christmas, Papeetepatrick!...Please, report back on that "Nut"...What about the SPFPDD....?

Oh, nooo...No "Stars and Stripes", no "Western Simphony"....? Can you imagine...? :sweatingbullets:

Since I have never officially "welcomed" you, Cristian, I will do so now, at Christmastime. I welcome your input every day and enjoy your passionate posts. I also loved your postcard greeting! Until 1991, what I wanted every Christmas -- and never believed my wish would be fulfilled -- was a free Estonia. I join you in the spirit of freedom from Communism, which is a passionate desire that doesn't stop at the holidays, but is, indeed, amplified during the holy season.

So, a very late welcome to BT and a very Merry Christmas to you, Cristian, with another voice added to your fervent wish for a free Cuba.

Marga

:) I hate to poop on a holiday thread (what the heck, I already did once) but let's keep politics to a minimum, unless absolutely germane to ballet. I should have said this earlier, but didn't click through the link until I read Marga's post. I owe SanderO an apology; his comment seemed confusing without that context.

We've probably got a few rabid communists here as well as die-hard libertarians (or wherever you lie on the spectrum). We all love ballet.

Holiday greetings are the most fun about the season - we've done them every year, so let's keep them inclusive.

let's keep politics to a minimum, unless absolutely germane to ballet. We've probably got a few rabid communists here as well as die-hard libertarians (or wherever you lie on the spectrum). We all love ballet.

Oops!...i did it again... :) Yes, Leigh, you're just totally right. Hey, i love Mme. Alonso. and she loves Castro, so talk about a wide spectrum!...Still, i agree with you, so i want to offer my apologies to those who don't share my political views and my respect for theirs...

Ballet for all!:

:D