This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarah Lane

Dale

Thanks, Dale, the article really covers a lot of ground.

On being coached by Gelsey Kirkland for Princess Florine and some of the Fairy Variations:

After I’d already performed it, she scheduled an extra half hour and worked on it more. ... during the rehearsal I realized it is possible to get more out of something and to keep striving to get and to not just be content. ... For the Fairy of Joy, she made me put much more energy into it, in a way that wasn’t just fake energy, but a reason to be joyful. Like you have this excitement because you can’t wait to tell somebody something. She kept saying, “Spread good news.” And with Charity, during one rehearsal, I was moving back on the diagonal, and she said, “You can give so much more. What do you want to say to people from inside?” She didn’t even give me anything specific, but I literally almost started crying right there. It makes me connect with a part of myself and my life that I can’t really change in reality.

On still being in the corps de ballet:

... if I think about it too much, it will be detrimental because I do kind of stress out. It just makes my dancing worse because I get too tense. I feel like I have to prove something and it’s definitely not what I want my dancing to be about. If I stay in the corps forever and I don’t lose that quality of peace and that willingness to do something because I love it, that would be enough for me.

On her coach, Irina Kolpakova:

I love Irina. She has so much energy, she’s so inspiring and enthusiastic and when she demonstrates things, she has such innocence and a sweet joy. It makes you less tired. ... She was giving me relationship advice in rehearsal; she was talking to me about my wedding [she flashes her engagement ring]. I’m getting married to Luis Ribagorda, a boy in the corps. He’s from Madrid. I was telling her that my wedding was going to be in a year in August and she asked, “Why wait so long?” We decided that we’ll do it in December.

Congratulations, Mr. Ribagorda!

For all of you Sarah Lane fans, the current issue of Time Out New York has an interview with Lane. The online edition's version is extended:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/article/871...n-the-fast-lane

She's also featured in a cover story in Dance Magazine.

Thank you so much. I am a Sarah Lane fan. What do you think about her comment that Kevin M. seems to prefer taller dancers?

I loved her insights into coaching at ABT. Particularly that Gelsey wanted to work with Lane after she performed bluebird PPD, and how unusual that is.

I really believe some promotions are due in that company. I hope this is one of them.

Re: Lane/Cornejo:

...Worth adding another performance to my calendar?

Let's put it this way, if they are paired in McK's Sleeping (or anything else) next summer at the Met, I'll make it priority #1! Hope you go, and even more, hope you'll tell us about it!

Another cancellation of X. Reyes. Does anyone know whether she is still scheduled for the 14 July Othello? I hope so, so that the Lane casting would be for artistic reasons rather than for a continuing injury. Xiomara would seem a natural for Desdemona, just as Sarah for Aurora.

Another cancellation of X. Reyes. Does anyone know whether she is still scheduled for the 14 July Othello?

According to ABT's web site, Reyes is no longer down for Othello on July 14th - it's a repeat of the Kent/Gomes cast, and Murphy/Hallberg will take the other matinee.

I may be curious enough to go for Lane in Aurora.. (I'll see how I feel about the production at Tuesday's OC opening night. Lane will also now be doing Bluebird on opening, replacing Reyes, so I can get a preview of her then, too!)

And I'll be there that weekend. Am leaving Sunday, but may have time to squeeze in that matinee.Advice to all would be to definately take the chance to see her; she was VERY good in many roles at Met this season, and previously has always been someone to watch. Merde to both Sarah and Herman on Sunday. (And congratulations to Sarah and Luis.)

This is wonderful news, congratulations Sarah AND Herman!!!!

Art, you should go. This production was disappointing for it's lack of dramatic focus (too many additional plot elements) and the fact that it approaches the ballet as a children's fairy tale (especially in terms of the costumes), but the dancing is glorious, and there's plenty of it. And recent interviews have indicated that the artistic team looks at it as a “work in process” and has already made significant changes to it. It's not in the same league as the RB's beauty, and while the major disapointment here was that it could have been so much better there's still enough Petipa to make it worthwhile for adult ballet lovers.

Lane is a beautiful young dancer who is being groomed for stardom. A couple of years ago she danced the lead in Theme & Variations (with Cornejo), but this is her first classical leading role, and I’m sure she will be wonderful as Aurora. Cornejo is amazing - he's really a startlingly beautiful classicist.

This is casting that many of us in NY were hoping for, and we’re all very jealous of our OC friends who’ll get to see their joint debut.

Here’s a recent interview with Lane where she talks about Sleeping Beauty (but not about Aurora- must have been from before she was cast):

http://www.pe.com/entertainment/stories/PE...13.162494e.html

This is wonderful news, congratulations Sarah AND Herman!!!!

Lane is a beautiful young dancer who is being groomed for stardom. A couple of years ago she danced the lead in Theme & Variations (with Cornejo), but this is her first classical leading role, and I’m sure she will be wonderful as Aurora. Cornejo is amazing - he's really a startlingly beautiful classicist.

This is casting that many of us in NY were hoping for, and we’re all very jealous of our OC friends who’ll get to see their joint debut.

I enjoyed her Theme so much. I wish her well in Aurora and I would definately buy a ticket in NY to see her (A factor in my ticket buying was her Blue Bird).

It just seems such a big jump from being promoted to soloist to doing Aurora. Isn't this unusual at ABT? NYCB mixes the ranks up more.

Who would be factor in the casting - Gelsey, Kevin, various coaches -- or is it just a matter of Reyes being injured and finding the best short girl (OK that sounds really stupid, but you know what I mean) to fill in. I hope Sarah is up to it.

It just seems such a big jump from being promoted to soloist to doing Aurora.
Just as it seems a big jump from signing a corps contract -- ink still wet -- and dancing the lead in Theme & Variations.

I'm sure Sarah would not have been cast if the staff didn't have confidence in her ability to deliver. If they couldn't find a suitable partner for Herman, they would have substituted a lead couple.

It just seems such a big jump from being promoted to soloist to doing Aurora.
Just as it seems a big jump from signing a corps contract -- ink still wet -- and dancing the lead in Theme & Variations.

I'm sure Sarah would not have been cast if the staff didn't have confidence in her ability to deliver. If they couldn't find a suitable partner for Herman, they would have substituted a lead couple.

Right you are! Thanks

The Time Out interview referred to Ms. Lane as being the shortest dancer in ABT. Hope that Sarah read the review of her ABT Reno performance posted in Links, especially the part I've highlighted:

The "Sinatra Suite," a Twyla Tharp-choreographed piece set entirely to Frank Sinatra songs such as "Strangers in the Night" and "That's Life," was exciting, sexy and the kind of thing that those on "Dancing with the Stars" can only dream of.

Herman Cornejo danced in a full tuxedo, occasionally throwing the jacket off stage or loosening his bow tie, but the long and languid Sarah Lane cut a more impressive figure in an Oscar de la Renta sheer black gown -- and high heels that she didn't get to kick off. The audience responded warmly to this performance, giving a rousing round of applause between every song and at nearly every lift and leap.

The Time Out interview referred to Ms. Lane as being the shortest dancer in ABT.

Good highlight (long and languid)!

That "shortest" bit perplexed me when I read it. I'm quite sure that Xiomara is shorter than 5'2".

That "long & languid" description of Sarah made me laugh. She is a beautiful dancer and she does have long lines, but that's not the way I'd describe her!

Marga, she is noticably smaller than Xiomara. It's noticable when they're on stage together and also in relation to Cornejo. I'm sure she is the shortest dancer in ABT right now.

Ah what it is to be petit. I was 5'3" forever until by too much Pilates or a late growth spurt, I made it to 5'4". But proportion is all, not how tall/short you are, and that is also what can affect line, and balance etc.etc. I once had a colleague who had a body that was probably not more than 14" from shoulder to hip; all her height (5'5")was in her VERY long legs, but consequently because her back was so short, she couldn't hold an extension for as long, even though it looked higher to start due to leg length. So hooray for Sarah, who is a beautiful dancer, and petit.

If Herman Cornejo is not recovered in time to do Desire with Sarah on Sunday, will they replace him or cancel both his and her debuts? :)

Marga, she is noticably smaller than Xiomara. It's noticable when they're on stage together and also in relation to Cornejo. I'm sure she is the shortest dancer in ABT right now.

Thanks, nysusan. I spoke with Reyes a few years ago right after a performance when she was still wearing her pointe shoes and standing on flat, so have noted her height. Further, my own dancer daughter is exactly 5'2" and she seemed taller than Xiomara. But I believe you, and if Sarah Lane herself said so, who am I to quibble? My perception of Ms. Reyes' height must have been off.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here is an article on ABT and Payless Shoes / Sarah Lane ..

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008087930

ABT's own Soloist Dancer, Sarah Lane, will be the new face for the brand and will be featured on the shoe boxes, as well as in-store signage and ads. Lane was the recipient of a 2007 Princess Grace Award, which recognizes emerging talent in theater, dance, and film by awarding grants in the form of scholarships, apprenticeships, and fellowships.

I've seen a few ad's already .... neat. :mad: