This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Somova Alert: Kitri!

Can you Elborate? Is she large?

:angel_not: She is at least a foot taller than he. Her arms and legs are both

extremely long. Physically, she's not in proportion to his physique, so this is not only

a mismatch, but yet another miscast. She has long acrylic fingernails

that are hazardous, and that's dangerous for Leonid (and other partners), because they

have to worry about being slashed by them. Add to all of that the fact that she is a

gymnast, devoid of port de bras, epaulement, turnout, competent technique - (never mind

professional), and a footlight flirt, and you have what may shape up to be one of the

most, uh, entertaining Kitri debuts in the Maryinsky Theatre's history.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

I saw this pair perform the Don Q pdd at a gala last year. Even for Don Q, she was WAY over the top. Her grand battements were downright violent at times and she has quite a sway back. I really liked Sarafanov though.

Acrylic nails?!? Is that even allowed for ballet dancers? (Well apparently so...)

I'll be interested to read reports on this performance on Ballet Talk!

Planet Kirov is becoming a more alien world every day. Are there other better and potentially better Kitris in the company? Of course they are, but for reasons best known to themselves the Kirov continues to promote Somova despite all her shortcomings.

I imagine everyone has seen a dancer in a role s/he wasn’t suited to but usually it’s out of necessity, because that dancer is the best the company happens to have at the time. The Kirov has no excuses as they can call upon the services of many of the world’s best, but perversely they keep putting Somova stage centre. Its as if the company is deliberately sabotaging its own reputation.

I got an email from a friend in St. P who saw it last night. Here's just some of the highlights:

"She had the very best partner, the champion in jumping and turning, dashing Sarafanov. BTW, I took notice of their difference in height. Not everything was perfect. Firstly, she had trouble with her lifts, which are done with one hand only. Still remembering the way Cojocaru carried them through, Somova didn’t look comfortable. Perhaps her extra-long legs of hers got in the way, but I suspect that it was just nerves. She tends to “loose” her leg when dismounting from the lifts, which makes them look somewhat off balance as if she was sliding away. Perhaps spectacular Manon lifts and turns is not her thing. She had some technical difficulties with her fan-work.

Then there were the fouette turns. The toe of the working leg was way too low to maintain perfect line. Well, she tried

and did some doubles. And as one can see, just like in some photos, she takes too long to fully extend her knee. These shortcomings, however, did not mar the feeling of utter joy which her Kitri radiated with characteristic generosity. She was spectacularly beautiful no matter which costume she put on."

:clapping:.

In general, she reports that the patrons on the lobby level loved it - but not the Czar's Box level or the upper tiers. You see, this just goes to show you that in today's Maryinsky, you can smile your way through a performance and not have to dance, just change costumes. Well, I guess "Giselle" is next :thumbsup:.

Out of curiousity, as I have never seen the Kirov's Don Q live, what would folks say were some of the better (recent) performances? And what about if they had to choose a Kirov dancer to debut as Kitri/Basilio/etc?

Well, they recently imported Natasha Osipova to dance it with Sarafanov. Just before that, his partner was Novikova.

I love Osipova - interesting that they imported her...

I am not sure it is right to say that they IMPORTED Osipova. This was a usual guest star appearance in the Mariinsky’s annual festival. A young starlet in this case. Similar to the appearance of Cojocaru/Kobborg in “R & J†and Ganio in “Giselleâ€. Tsiskaridze has been appearing at their festivals every year for the last, I think, six years.

Apart from Novikova the Mariinsky has other Kitris – Osmolkina, Golub, Tereshkina, Sheshina and Vishneva. In my humble opinion none of them, even Vishneva, can at the moment match Osipova’s zest, technical skills and amazing self-abandonment in this role.

By the way, on the 4th of July Somova will be dancing Don Q. with Lobukhin. I hope Sarafanov is OK.

Edited by carbro
to add a [/quote] to make a box. :-)

Coda, apologies for not being clearer, as I did understand initially that she was there as a guest.... I shouldn't have insinuated that it might have been more long term! Thank you for your comments on the Mariinsky's 'own' Kitris!

Among the Kirov's active Kitris, Vishneva remains unparalleled in the role, IMO. During the mid-90s it was very much her signature role -- until she debuted in Rubies, which became her new trademark. Vishneva literally jete'd into stardom when she first performed Kitri at the Mariinsky, while still a 16-yr-old student. She did not graduate from the Vaganova Academy until a year-and-one-half following that first Kitri.

Among the now-retired Kitris, Irina Tchistiakova was quite remarkable. She was Ruzimatov's main Kitri until Vishneva took over.

The future? I am anxiously awaiting Yevgenia Obraztsova's debut in the role. Imagine with her bubbliness and panache, coupled with amazing technique. Obraztsova & Sarafanov together in Don Q -- that is my dream pairing.

By the way, on the 4th of July Somova will be dancing Don Q. with Lobukhin. I hope Sarafanov is OK.

The Vazievs are giving Kitri to her again?! Tomorrow?! That's less

than a week later! Poor Mikhail. As for Leonid, I doubt it. How can anyone

be "OK" after dodging nails like these and a runaway fan? Pink nail polish

is one thing, but one inch nails? That's a non-starter.

http://danse-photos.goodforum.net/viewtopi...sc&start=20

IMO both Novikova and Tkachenko are the best Kitris the Maryinsky can field at this moment.

The logical choice for Kitri last week was Tereshkina; she deserves a long overdue shot at this role.

But lately, the managers aren't into common sense. Of the previous Maryinksky generation,

Tatiana Terekhova was untouchable as Kitri.

Can you Elborate? Is she large?

:crying: She is at least a foot taller than he. Her arms and legs are both

extremely long. Physically, she's not in proportion to his physique, so this is not only

a mismatch, but yet another miscast. She has long acrylic fingernails

that are hazardous, and that's dangerous for Leonid (and other partners), because they

have to worry about being slashed by them. Add to all of that the fact that she is a

gymnast, devoid of port de bras, epaulement, turnout, competent technique - (never mind

professional), and a footlight flirt, and you have what may shape up to be one of the

most, uh, entertaining Kitri debuts in the Maryinsky Theatre's history.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

Look at this photo

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/artic...HEUL.DTL&o=

Based on this recent photo, Somova is much smaller than Sarafanov and is shorter on pointe than Sarafanov.