27 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Alina Somova will be making her debut as Kitri in 'Don Quixote' tomorrow night at the Mariinsky Theater, partnered by Leonid Sarafanov. (Heaven help him with those lifts!) :angel_not:

#2 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

#3 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

Can you Elborate? Is she large?

#4 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Can you Elborate? Is she large?

:angel_not: She is at least a foot taller than he. Her arms and legs are both
extremely long. Physically, she's not in proportion to his physique, so this is not only
a mismatch, but yet another miscast. She has long acrylic fingernails
that are hazardous, and that's dangerous for Leonid (and other partners), because they
have to worry about being slashed by them. Add to all of that the fact that she is a
gymnast, devoid of port de bras, epaulement, turnout, competent technique - (never mind
professional), and a footlight flirt, and you have what may shape up to be one of the
most, uh, entertaining Kitri debuts in the Maryinsky Theatre's history.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

#5 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

I saw this pair perform the Don Q pdd at a gala last year. Even for Don Q, she was WAY over the top. Her grand battements were downright violent at times and she has quite a sway back. I really liked Sarafanov though.

Acrylic nails?!? Is that even allowed for ballet dancers? (Well apparently so...)

I'll be interested to read reports on this performance on Ballet Talk!

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

She is at least a foot taller than he.

Maybe they'll just send on somova, but not allova.

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Bad, Mel! Bad!!! :clapping:

#8 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

I can't believe this. Surely they have better Kitri's to put out there?

I can just see her hypermobile body going into one of those beautiful Plisetskaya sissones and getting her leg stuck around her torso..... :clapping:

#9 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:08 AM

Planet Kirov is becoming a more alien world every day. Are there other better and potentially better Kitris in the company? Of course they are, but for reasons best known to themselves the Kirov continues to promote Somova despite all her shortcomings.

I imagine everyone has seen a dancer in a role s/he wasn’t suited to but usually it’s out of necessity, because that dancer is the best the company happens to have at the time. The Kirov has no excuses as they can call upon the services of many of the world’s best, but perversely they keep putting Somova stage centre. Its as if the company is deliberately sabotaging its own reputation.

#10 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Wow. And I thought Volokova was bad.

#11 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

I got an email from a friend in St. P who saw it last night. Here's just some of the highlights:

"She had the very best partner, the champion in jumping and turning, dashing Sarafanov. BTW, I took notice of their difference in height. Not everything was perfect. Firstly, she had trouble with her lifts, which are done with one hand only. Still remembering the way Cojocaru carried them through, Somova didn’t look comfortable. Perhaps her extra-long legs of hers got in the way, but I suspect that it was just nerves. She tends to “loose” her leg when dismounting from the lifts, which makes them look somewhat off balance as if she was sliding away. Perhaps spectacular Manon lifts and turns is not her thing. She had some technical difficulties with her fan-work.

Then there were the fouette turns. The toe of the working leg was way too low to maintain perfect line. Well, she tried
and did some doubles. And as one can see, just like in some photos, she takes too long to fully extend her knee. These shortcomings, however, did not mar the feeling of utter joy which her Kitri radiated with characteristic generosity. She was spectacularly beautiful no matter which costume she put on."

:clapping:.

In general, she reports that the patrons on the lobby level loved it - but not the Czar's Box level or the upper tiers. You see, this just goes to show you that in today's Maryinsky, you can smile your way through a performance and not have to dance, just change costumes. Well, I guess "Giselle" is next :thumbsup:.

#12 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

Ugh Ugh Ugh.

Out of curiousity, as I have never seen the Kirov's Don Q live, what would folks say were some of the better (recent) performances? And what about if they had to choose a Kirov dancer to debut as Kitri/Basilio/etc?

#13 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Out of curiousity, as I have never seen the Kirov's Don Q live, what would folks say were some of the better (recent) performances? And what about if they had to choose a Kirov dancer to debut as Kitri/Basilio/etc?

Well, they recently imported Natasha Osipova to dance it with Sarafanov. Just before that, his partner was Novikova.

#14 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

I love Osipova - interesting that they imported her - I must not have been keeping up with this section of the boards.

Surely that's not to say that they don't have a decent Kitri of their own?

#15 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

I love Osipova - interesting that they imported her - I must not have been keeping up with this section of the boards.
Surely that's not to say that they don't have a decent Kitri of their own?

Here are photos of the Osipova/Sarafanov DQ (what company in the world wouldn't find Osipova an upgrade?) from Russian Interpress:
http://www.interpres...t&news_id=13408

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):