This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spelling Question - Tanaquil LeClercq or Le Clercq?

I have seen it written both ways (with a space and withou a space between Le and Clercq). Even the programmes in the NYCB archives use both versions. As does the N Y Times over the years. Does anyone know which is correct?

Thanks.

I'm going by one of the most treasured books I own, "Choreography by George Balanchine: A Catalogue of Works, published in 1983 by The Eakins Press Foundation. A photographic portrait of Balanchine by Tanaquil Le Clercq is the frontispiece. Her name is in innumerable entries, of course, and appears throughout as Le Clercq, with the space.

I have seen it written both ways (with a space and withou a space between Le and Clercq). Even the programmes in the NYCB archives use both versions. As does the N Y Times over the years. Does anyone know which is correct?

Thanks.

I'm going by one of the most treasured books I own, "Choreography by George Balanchine: A Catalogue of Works, published in 1983 by The Eakins Press Foundation. A photographic portrait of Balanchine by Tanaquil Le Clercq is the frontispiece. Her name is in innumerable entries, of course, and appears throughout as Le Clercq, with the space.

Thank you for the timely response.

to confirm what's been noted so far, fyi, the info from NYPL dance coll.:

Le Clercq, Tanaquil.

International dict. of ballet, c1993: p. 833 (LeClercq, Tanaquil; Amer. dancer & teacher; b. 10/2/1929 in Paris)

International encyclopedia of dance, c1998: v. 4, p. 136 (Le Clercq, Tanaquil; b. 10/2/29 in Paris; ballet dancer; m. to George Balanchine, 1952-69)

N.Y. Times, Jan. 1, 2001: obituary (Tanaquil Le Clercq; d. 12/31/00 in New York of pneumonia at age 71)

Her Mourka, the autobiography of a cat, 1965: t.p. (Tanaquil Le Clercq)

Her The ballet cook book, 1966: t.p. (Tanaquil Le Clercq)

Wilson, G.B.L. A dict. of ballet, c1974 (Leclerq, Tanaquil; b. Paris, 1929; retired 1956 on contracting polio)

New York City Ballet. Programs, Mar. 1950 performer credits (Tanaquil Le Clercq)

as you see the spaced version prevails, tho' the library also notes the appearance w/o the space.

It's times like these I wish we could post pictures.

I would show you my gorgeous one year old Italian Greyhound named for Tanaquil Le Clercq.

My Tanny is gorgeous with very long skinny legs.

I enjoy explaining her name to people in the park and on the street.

I also googled the name Tanaquil and found that she was an Etruscan woman who made her husband Tarquinius an Emperor of Rome.

And yes, my Tanny has been inside the SAB and NYCB studios.

A real ballerina, with flirtatious ballerina eyes, l-o-n-g limbs, and gorgeous epaulement. I see she has her own practice mirror for stretching and doing barre at home. Am I right to think that some of these shots are from her performances of Sylphide, Swan Lake (with a real lake), and other classics? The shot of Tanny trapped behind bars, possibly imprisoned by Kotschei or Rothbart or some such villain, shows that she has impressive dramatic range. :wink: