This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Obraztsova's Giselle; Lopatkina's Carmen

Just a quickie note but one that will surely interest all Kirov followers.

Yevgenia Obraztsova made a triumphant debut in the title role of Giselle two nights ago. The ultra-picky Russian fans have been describing her portrayal as 'miraculous,' 'magnificently acted,' 'very traditional - not innovative - in a positive manner' in reports on the Mariinka and other fora. Obraztsova's Albrecht was one of her favorite partners, Leonid Sarafanov.

Prima Ballerina Uliana Lopatkina debuted the role of Carmen in the Alonso/Schedrin Carmen Suite a few days ago at the Bolshoi, where she appeared as a guest. She, too, has been showered with praise. The photos in today's Kommersant newspaper tell it all:

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.html?DocID=77...p;IssueId=36308

I'll post links to Obraztsova's Giselle reviews/photos, once these become available.

Thanks for the updates Natalia. Glad to hear that Obraztsova's Giselle debut went so well, she was just the perfect Juliet earlier this year when the Kirov was in DC. I wish I could see them more often so your reports are really a life line to the company for me. They have such talent there, from the ranks on up. I find it almost unbelievable that as much as I love Vishneva when I think about the Kirov she's only my 3rd or even 4th favorite ballerina (after Lopatkina, Pavlenko and now Obraztsova). That doesn't sound very flattering to Vishneva but it's really not a reflection on her - she's amazing - it's just that they have so many exquisite ballerinas in St Petersburg right now and I gravitate towards the more traditional ones. Hopefully we'll get to see plenty of them all in NY next year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yevgenia Obraztsova made a triumphant debut in the title role of Giselle two nights ago. The ultra-picky Russian fans have been describing her portrayal as 'miraculous,' 'magnificently acted,' 'very traditional - not innovative - in a positive manner' in reports on the Mariinka and other fora. Obraztsova's Albrecht was one of her favorite partners, Leonid Sarafanov.

http://photofile.ru/users/poduchka/2796149/ - it's only the final bows...