This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT 2007 City Center season

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

I could add operas, classical plays, and orchestral music. All the schedules for this classifications are dominated by revivals for a long , long time.

Audiences want to play it safe with stuff they know and that figures regularly in the scheduling

Or they want to share the experience with someone of a younger generation. The first Broadway show I went to was Fiddler on the Roof, in the original production (but not the original cast). I was thrilled to see that there was a revival with Molina, so that my (much) younger cousins could see it. (Not that it had to be on Broadway, but it was important to be prominently available.)

Although I don't know if today's 17-year-old would have seen the same thing in Pippin that I did at that age :)

A lot of the classic musicals are our a key part of American musical legacy, and are great vehicles for today's actors. I think there's something great about passing them down.

#17 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

It is a bit strange however given that broadway musicals *aren't* usually revived every year, that there is another revival of Gypsy this soon. And Patti Lupone is certainly more true to type (Ethel Merman) than Bernadette Peters was.

No, you're right, a musical being revived that quickly is odd. But let me make a few guesses(mostly concerned with money of course).
The Peters revival of 2003-2004 was troubled and you are not the only person to remark that the role was not a neat fit for her
(imagine whispering Everything's Coming Up Roses??????)
More important , it was an open ended show at a Broadway house.

The Lupone is easier and neater for the promoters, it's closed ended, just three weeks and it should be easy to sell a lot of tickets even in July based on the short window. I don't know this as fact, so bear that in mind, but I think this version may be moved around to limited engagements in other cities. The producers have less of that old style managing of looking at last weeks takes and deciding to post a closing notice.

Sorry, I've gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay :off topic: :)

#18 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

Any bets who gets Ballo? My guess is first cast Murphy-Stiefel, second cast Lane-Cornejo :beg: .

You are probably right but a Murphy- Hallberg cast would be nice too.Any ideas for "Leaves..." :flowers:

#19 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

Any bets who gets Ballo? My guess is first cast Murphy-Stiefel, second cast Lane-Cornejo :beg: .

You are probably right but a Murphy- Hallberg cast would be nice too.Any ideas for "Leaves..." :flowers:

Abrera maybe, she is unlike Kirkland (who I saw in the role) but has an air of mystery and fluidity that might work.

A connected topic - ABT is ripe for promotions. I had assumed that Part would become a principal soon. Is that happening? Could Abrera be on the principal track? Also, I have been rooting for a Lane promotion to soloist. Are any promotions likely to be announced any time soon? I feel like this site is sometimes like "the oracle."

#20 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

Good points. I actually like broadway revivals, as I much prefer older musicals to most of those from the 70s to today. It is a bit strange however given that broadway musicals *aren't* usually revived every year, that there is another revival of Gypsy this soon. And Patti Lupone is certainly more true to type (Ethel Merman) than Bernadette Peters was.

Much of the reason for the City Center run is because Arthur Laurents and Patti Lupone finally "kissed and made-up," so to speak and Laurents not only consented to the casting but will be directing Lupone in the production. He had refused to give his consent to Lupone playing Rose in a major production, and now that he's not only given his go-ahead but signed onto the project, no one is really going to sit around on it. After all, quite frankly, Laurents isn't getting any younger. With an all-star supporting cast, I guess City Center is selling it as a variation on their popular "Encores!" concerts.

And yes, while I've thoroughly enjoyed Bernadette Peters in many things (including concert renditions of songs from "Gypsy") she was miscast in the last revival and Mendes was not the director who could make it work.

#21 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:56 AM

This is probably just 'relatively soon' for Gypsy to be getting revived again, because it seems the perennially revivable show. The only comparable one that showcases a diva type is 'Hello, Dolly!' and that doesn't have the staying power. Dozens of ladies from the movies did it in the 60s and 70s, but Gypsy always gets a major production eventually. Even with business matters, as with Laurents and Lupone, Gypsy is the one show that keeps making it back due to its perfect balance as a work in this form. I definitely think if a single one had to be chosen as the most exemplary, it would be Gypsy.

I like Richard53dog's observation about revivals of B'way shows being like revivals in ballet and opera--hadn't thought of it exactly like that--but it is exactly the same. Even reminded me of the way Michael Moore presented universal health care to Oprah as being a kind of public right just like a police and fire department--should be taken for granted. Never have seen Lupone, so am looking forward to this. This is :FIREdevil:, I see, but I guess it's about City Center, my least favourite theater in New York.

#22 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

The two week schedule is now posted on the ABT website. I was not to pleased with the comission to Millipied after sitting
through his very forgettable Quiet Music at the YAGP gala in April BUT it is last on most programs so if it's another zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz we can skip out during the second intermission and do an "early quit"

http://www.abt.org/i...asp?News_ID=199

Scroll all the way to the bottom for the sched

#23 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

You are probably right but a Murphy- Hallberg cast would be nice too.Any ideas for "Leaves..." :lightbulb:

Abrera maybe, she is unlike Kirkland (who I saw in the role) but has an air of mystery and fluidity that might work.

A connected topic - ABT is ripe for promotions. I had assumed that Part would become a principal soon. Is that happening? Could Abrera be on the principal track? Also, I have been rooting for a Lane promotion to soloist. Are any promotions likely to be announced any time soon? I feel like this site is sometimes like "the oracle."

Unfortunately, K Mckencie doesn't listen to "the oracle" but the ABT higherups seems to be pushing J Mathews to more soloist roles than any other male member of the corp.There seems more promising females than males in the present group. Any other names? :FIREdevil:

#24 christine174

christine174

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

I'm so bummed they aren't doing In the Upper Room! I was prepared to rush out and buy tickets for every performance of it. I'm still dumbfounded from last year's performances.

#25 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

I'm so bummed they aren't doing In the Upper Room! I was prepared to rush out and buy tickets for every performance of it. I'm still dumbfounded from last year's performances.

In the Upper Room has been done a lot recently by a bunch of companies. Boston Ballet is doing it next May, on a program that includes Concerto Barocco and Dark Elegies.

#26 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

Any bets who gets Ballo? My guess is first cast Murphy-Stiefel, second cast Lane-Cornejo :D .

You are probably right but a Murphy- Hallberg cast would be nice too.Any ideas for "Leaves..." :)

It is difficult to know whether Abrera could be promoted to principal, but I certainly hope so! She is lovely as the Lilac Fairy and as Myrta. However, it is difficult to know if she will remain permanently as a soloist, like Carmen seems to be doing. It seems like Part would be the next obvious promotion, though I don't think ABT knows quite what to do with her. She dances lead roles in Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty, and yet she is completely absent from other ballets.

#27 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

It seems like Part would be the next obvious promotion, though I don't think ABT knows quite what to do with her. She dances lead roles in Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty, and yet she is completely absent from other ballets.

Also Bayadere, Raymonda, Giselle (Myrtha), R&J (Mommy, a lead role when she does it), Mozartiana.

#28 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hurling a bunch of responses to the myriad comments made so far:

Part's promotion: She really should be promoted. However, a few well-placed critics (including Macauley at the Times) don't like her and she was not given very warm reviews for her Aurora. I saw the opening night and I thought she was lovely if somewhat miscast and lacking a little in lightness of footwork. However she was definitely a ballerina up there. I am afraid that McKenzie et al. might decide to make her take the fall for the disastrous critical reception of the "Sleeping Beauty" production. ABT should either promote her now or let her go. Her Nikiya in "La Bayadere" and her Odette/Odile in "Swan Lake" in partnership with Gomes are reason enough to give her the rank of principal. Add any other role you wish to this very short list.

"Ballo" casting: Part often has been cast in Balanchine at ABT and at the Kirov/Maryinsky back when. Could she do "Ballo"? Definitely Wiles, Herrera and Murphy are natural Balanchine ballerinas but Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky are good bet too.

As for promotions: I wonder where the next generation of ballerinas are going to come from? Really once Julie Kent retires and Nina finally quits the stage, ABT will be short in the prima ballerina department. Other than Sarah Lane or Misty Copeland, perhaps, who in corps is ready to be groomed for stardom? Also, the constellation of male superstars we have been enjoying at ABT already has been diminished by the retirement of Julio Bocca. Vladimir Malakhov is getting to be a rare and uncertain presence on the ABT roster and he is over 35. Jose Manuel Carreno is over 35 and was in great shape last season. Other than a troublesome shoulder and upper back which affects his partnering, he is still going strong and could go on for another four or five years. Ethan Stiefel is a fantastic dancer who this season showed up with stronger acting temperment. However, I suspect that the aftereffects of his many injuries will limit him in future seasons more and more. Another serious injury could end his career before he turns 40. Carlos Acosta didn't make it to the Met season this year and his busy schedule and main affiliation to the Royal makes him really more of an occasional guest artist, at best. That leaves Marcelo, Angel, David Hallberg, Herman and Max to carry the company forward. Certainly, Roberto Bolle made a very nice impression on the ABT audience who took to him immediately. His is tall and a good partner and would take some of the pressure off of Marcelo.

The City Center season is always a better opportunity for corps dancers to do more and might prove a testing ground for new talent which will be needed desperately at ABT in five years.

#29 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hurling a bunch of responses to the myriad comments made so far:

"Ballo" casting: Part often has been cast in Balanchine at ABT and at the Kirov/Maryinsky back when. Could she do "Ballo"?

Oooh. I like her, but that would not be pretty. The role is for an allegro technician - the opposite sort of dancer to Part. It might exert a sort of morbid fascination, kind of like making Katharine Hepburn sing "On the Good Ship Lollipop," but I'm not sure either Part or Ballo would be enriched by the experience.

Definitely Wiles, Herrera and Murphy are natural Balanchine ballerinas but Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky are good bet too.

Wiles, Herrera and Murphy are natural Balanchine ballerinas? Murphy comes the closest, but in my viewing, Herrera looks stilted in Balanchine and Wiles has the ability but not the attack or accenting.

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

...Other than Sarah Lane or Misty Copeland, perhaps, who in corps is ready to be groomed for stardom? ...

Lane is a good solid soloist, although I'd place my bets on wondrous Yuriko Kajiya to surprise everyone!

Stella Abrera, without a doubt, should be the next female principal at ABT. She has it all -- amazing technique, charisma and versatility (think Lilac Fairy or Gamzatti one day, Push Comes to Shove the next, then Balanchine Symph Concertant). I don't feel quite the same about Part, although she certainly held her own as Aurora when I saw her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):