This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New 'Le Corsaire' at Bolshoipremieres June 21, 2007

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#106 Mikhail

Mikhail

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

As was promised I talked to Yuri Burlaka to present here more details on the music of Le Corsaire.

A short Introduction (Ouverture) – Pugni, composed for Le Corsaire

Pas des esclaves, female variation - R.Drigo for Maria Gorshenkova in The Vestale.

Finesse d’amour (Medora in the 1st act - with participation of Conrad and Seid-pasha) – a variation by C.Pugni for Praskovia Lebedeva in Satanilla.

Pas de deux:
Adagio – Nocturn by R.Drigo from the ballet Spring Dreams
Medora’s variation – J.Gerber from Trilbi.

Pas des eventailles:
Entrée, Adagio, Pas de six and Coda – R.Drigo from The Enchanted Forest
Gulnara’s variation – A.Zabel, for E.Sokolova
Male variation – R.Drigo from The Magic Mirror
Medora’s variation – R.Drigo from Pygmalion, or The Cyprus Statue

Concerning some cuts made for London tour they include the Introduction by Pugni, the adagio from Pas des esclaves and the male variation from Pas des eventailles. Strange that nobody mentioned this in the reviews.

#107 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:10 AM

Mikhail et al, I have just returned to the USA after a week in London. I've been too tired to write reviews but promise to do so in the coming days (in the tour's thread) for not only the SPECTACULAR Corsaire (Zakharova finally gaining my utter respect & admiration with this one) but also the witty Bright Stream (Osipova taking the cake once again!) and the mixed bill, which I did not care for except for the Tharp...What was that rubbish of a Class Concert - a.k.a. 'Poor Man's Etudes'???!!!! Folks who dislike Lander's Etudes or the show-off finale of Martins' Friandises will absolutely puke with this dog of a 'crowd pleaser.' The Bolshoi is too good to be digging the bottom of the choreographic barrell with this thing which, rightfully, had been dormant for 40 years.

Just a quick note to add to your list of provenance of numbers in Corsaire:

The music for the adorable 'pizzicatto duo' for two female demi-soloists in the Jardin Anime was originally Fleur de Lys' solo in Drigo's Act II 'Betrothal Suite' (for Fleur, Phoebe and friends) from the 1898 revival of Petipa's Esmeralda. Fleur's solo is still performed in St. Petersburg's Maly-Moussorgsky Theater Ballet (now Farouk Ruzimatov's troupe) edition of Esmeralda, but was not included in the 1990s telecast of that production that is now a DVD...but a bit of that music is played during the end-credits of the DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):