106 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for for your respective clarifications and enlightments, Doug & Mashinka! Doug, the accidental space seen between the names of demi-soloists 2 and 3 occurs in each casting list; the names aren't the same at every performance. Hopefully it's just a recurring accident because you surely know what's in the notes. Jardin Anime shouldn't be 'stuffed' with extra variations that aren't meant to be there.

Pas des Eventailles keeps fascinating me. According to contemporary descriptions of that pas in Cyril Beaumont's Complete Book of Ballets, "...the corps de ballet dispose their fans on her [Rosati as Medora] back to resemble the wings of a butterfly..." Another account in Beaumont describes the fans held by each corps girl as resembling peacock feathers; these are held in different positions "...creating a variety of beautiful combinations..."

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:45 AM

But with these old Petipa warhorses (God bless 'em), it's hard to know what is supposed to be there and what isn't. I think I recall the pas d'eventailles being transferred to the Grotto Scene in Don Quixote for a while there.

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

Mel, the good news about the Bolshoi production of Corsaire is that we can now be certain that there will be a Pas d'Eventailles in this version, as it is specifically mentioned in the casting list.

Sorry for overdoing the excitement a bit, but the opportunity to see any heretofore-unseen creation by Petipa is 'The Ultimate' for us Russophile-balletomaniacs. It's hard to contain the joy! :)

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy as a clam this is going back in. I guess it just must be one of those things preserved in the school, as was Reveil de Flore and Pavilion d'Armide.

(By the way, has anybody talked to a clam lately? Are they particularly happy beings?)

#20 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy as a clam this is going back in. I guess it just must be one of those things preserved in the school, as was Reveil de Flore and Pavilion d'Armide.

(By the way, has anybody talked to a clam lately? Are they particularly happy beings?)

About "a happy clam", I've been recently "educated" by a friend who gave me the full sentense :'as happy as a clam at high water/tide' - i.e. totally happy as being safe and undisturbed.... So, it's nice to be a happy clam on a high tide... - totally a high tide for Bolshoi's restoration (being a fan of "old-fashioned Petipa style ballets and Russian school ;-))

#21 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Ah, yes, but does that make them truly happy? I mean, what is there to being a clam? You suck in water, you spit out water. You suck in water, you spit out water. Does a clam ever think, "There has to be more to life than this!"? :flowers:

#22 scherzo

scherzo

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:07 AM

Does a clam ever think, "There has to be more to life than this!"?

Oh yes, but they are also very good at repressing their crippling emotional problems, thus giving the impression of happiness to the world. I have this on good authority. :flowers:

Does anyone else think that the Bolshoi stage looks rather cramped (or just small) in the above photos? I fear for the London Coliseum's stage: I don't know how large it is compared to the Bolshoi's.

#23 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:18 AM

I was under the impression that the Bolshoi is still shut for refurbishments and current performances are taking place at a replacement venue.

#24 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

...............current performances are taking place at a replacement venue.

You're correct Mashinka. The replacement venue is the Bolshoi's 'New Stage', an intimate theater on the left side of the Bolshoi.
I can't provide numbers, but both the stage and the auditorium are much smaller than the Bolshoi's.

I believe the London's Colliseum has one of the city's largest stages.

#25 scherzo

scherzo

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

Oh right, that would make a lot of sense. I'd actually forgotten that the Bolshoi Theatre was closed! :flowers:

#26 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:10 AM

The press section of the Bolshoi site now has photos up of the production:

http://www.bolshoi.r...tos/lecorsaire/

#27 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

I am dying to hear reviews...

#28 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:28 AM

I am dying to hear reviews...

Clement Crisp has reviewed this for the FT - you should be able to find this by a search on www.ft.com/home/uk/

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:43 AM

Crisp provides an idea of the sheer number of classical variations in this reconstructed version. The entire show goes on for nearly 4 hours...a-la Kirov 1890 Sleeping Beauty!

My Russian sources are in ecstasy about this production. It is out-of-this-world and a feast for anyone who adores such reconstructions. The ballet includes not only all of the well-known classical set pieces but also the complete Pas des Eventailes (including the formation of the peacock tail on Medora, by female corps holding aqua-blue fans) and Pas de Six with delectable variations for six female slaves. Jardin Anime is 'expanded' to nearly twice the usual length. It will be interesting to see if the additional variations are all of those that have ever danced in this section, i.e., the two original Petipa-Delibes variations for Medora & Gulnare + all of the others (K. Sergeyev, Gusev, Grogorovich, etc.) that have been substituted through the years? The 'Petit Corsaire' variation of Medora is danced in full Greek-soldier costume and holding a little cornet; she shouts something like 'To Arms!' at the end. The shipwreck is huge & very effective. Those are the bits & pieces that I've gleaned from e-mail from friends & such.

Some bits of film may make it to on-line sites but we won't post links here. I *will* post links to on-line Russian reviews as they trickle in.

#30 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

It sure is a stunning production. Loved every second of it.
I have a small gallery up at For Ballet Lovers Only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):