• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

I'm finding it hard - no, impossible - to reconcile Natalia's glowing account with the photograph of Eun Ji Ha in the NYT (see links for today). Somebody please tell me this isn't a typical pose!

I had trouble putting the two together, too. When I saw the picture I winced for its vulgarity. What is artistic or beautiful about having a crotch thrust in your face?!

#17 Latecat

Latecat

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

I am afraid that I agree with Jane Simpson and Marga about the photo. Natalia was there so she is the ultimate authority on this dancer; I do wonder, however, about awarding the first gold medal in many years to a dancer who can barely get through the Black Swan pas de deux. A competition is about artistry, but it is also about technique.

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

The pose in the photo is not the total performance. Funny thing - recently, a group of folks who are not fans of Diana Vishneva showed a photo of precisely this pose, in Diana's Black Swan pdd at the Bolshoi, to 'prove' that Vishneva is a vulgar dancer. If Eun Ji Ha is being criticized for the same reasons as was Diana Visneva, then that's not such a bad thing, is it?

As one who was there and saw the 'total gamut' of performances, I can state with confidence that Eun Ji Ha -- single-fouettes and all -- was MILES above any of the other women. For example, she would have easily beaten one Sarah Lamb, who earned a silver at this competition two years ago. Eun is that much better than Lamb, as a total artist. And you can quote me on that one!

#19 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

although the photograph sent chills into my soul for all the wrong reasons i will not judge as i was not there.

however i should point out that sarah lamb competed in this competition 7 years ago, in 2000, and not in 2005.

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the correction, Mme. Hermine. I saw Lamb's Odette-Odile in London last month and was not at all impressed by the general coldness of her interpretation -- although she did perform spiffy double-fouettes in place of singles during most of the fouette sequence. On the other hand, Eun truly knows how to perform & radiate the nasty charm of Odile. That's the difference between a fine technician (a 'school girl' type) and an artist. I am sure that the IBC judges saw the special magic in Eun. It was very obvious to me.

#21 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

I believe you, Natalia, since you were there, and yes, a photograph often does take things out of context. I am sorry the Times chose to run this one. I know that their photographers take dozens of shots at a time -- I've seen it. Also, I'm in the camp of those who believe that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Although Odile has more reason to take her penchés further than Odette, as she must be the über-Odette in order to make Siegfried forget about the real one, I still think that going beyond 180 degrees is a bit much in ballet. Ballet is not gymnastics. I love Sarah Lamb, and if you say that Eun is "miles" above her, then I am very interested in seeing Eun perform myself.

#22 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

I wish that I had been able to see the competition - sounds like it was quite interesting!!

I know that the format for this one is different to Jackson and Varna (from what I've read, at any rate), in that the dancers don't learn the pieces until they arrive in NYC. I know they prepare one piece in advance, but they don't know what they will be dancing until the start of the competition. For most other competitions, aren't the variations practised for quite some time in advance?

#23 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

I need to join the chorus about the photo... I actually came to this thread to find out what was going on that a dancer would expose that pose on stage and the NY Times would print it.

I don't really think you can call that an arabesque penche. I don't know what it is, but it's certainly not an arabesque.

Is this what competitions have come to?

#24 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

I was also completely taken aback by the photo. I think even from a more 'correct' angle, it would not be flattering, and doesn't display a nice line at all, let alone anything else.... I agree about 'no need to go beyone 180' and that it is not an arabesque.....

#25 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:26 AM

Re the Times photo. I don't recall ever seeing something quite so contortionistic or over-the-line.

Was it a matter of an unfortunate camera angle, as well as exagerrated extension?

Here's the Link: http://www.nytimes.c...amp;oref=slogin

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

Unfortunately, I think this is where ballet is today, especially at competitions. It's not in all companies yet, but it's getting there. We could picket.....

#27 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

We could picket.....

If you positioned two of those 12-o'clock vertical legs side by side, you could hang a banner between them. (Just a thought.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):