This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Polina Semionova

susibee

I have never seen her perform, and to be honest, only found out about her via an omnipresent music video she did.

Anyway, my curiosity is peeked now, and I'd like to see her perform if given the chance.

Whom does she guest with? Does her company tour? Will she be in New York anytime soon?

someone at the met implied that perhaps she'll be performing in or around nyc sometime soon, but gave NO particulars. the beautifully produced dancemagazine/shinshokan from japan often features p.s. and she's on the prague gala dvd. most recently thanks to dancemag/japan she was syliva in the berlin ballet's staging of asthon's SYLVIA opposite malkhov's aminta. the pix are impressive.

Semionova danced the most extraordinary Nikiya in BAYADERE that I've seen in over 10 years, at the most recent Mariinsky Int'l Ballet fest in StP. Her Nikiya compares to Lopatkina's in the late 1990s. Exquisite lines with the technical facility of youth, e.g., triple pirouettes in BOTH directions during the Act III solo with the scarf.

I wonder if anyone would care to venture a guess as to why Polina Semionova's "star" seems to have virtually disappeared from the world stage? Of course, she has started a family but so have other prominent ballerinas without any apparent loss of visability. Apparently, Alastair Macaulay was less than gracious in his reviews of her performances in New York. (Could The Times please bring onboard a bona fide dance critic). A few years ago, I moved heaven and earth to see Polina perform in an ABT Swan Lake. So completely astounded was I by her power and grace in that performance that I felt in a kind of creative trance for days. 

I have found it a bit curious that on the Berlin State Ballet website main page, the main feature is the list of "all dates with Polina Semionova". In essence, they are singling out her performances as the most noteworthy ones on the schedule.  And she is not even a permanent member of the company, just a guest artist.

Now, she is a very fine ballerina and all, but such cowering before a primadonna, no matter how famous and talented, is disrespectful to the active principals of the company, who are thus implicitly treated as of lesser importance. And self-deprecating for the company itself, which in effect is admitting that its main draw is a guest artist, rather than its dancers, choreographers, stage productions, repertoire, style, traditions, etc.

I am still surprised about her departure from ABT. Was it because she was not well received in the US, or was it the company that did not measure up to her talents?

Edited by Fleurdelis
4 minutes ago, Fleurdelis said:

I am still surprised about her departure from ABT. Was it because she was not well received in the US, or was it the company that did not measure up to her talents?

Perhaps it's because after the birth of her child she did not want to spend multiple weeks or months away from her child and husband.

20 hours ago, Fleurdelis said:

I have found it a bit curious that on the Berlin State Ballet website main page, the main feature is the list of "all dates with Polina Semionova". In essence, they are singling out her performances as the most noteworthy ones on the schedule.  And she is not even a permanent member of the company, just a guest artist.

It appears that the Berlin State Ballet is becoming the theater of one dancer—Semionova is scheduled for more than half of Swan Lake performances and all  but one Jewels.  She definitely will be much busier in Berlin than she was at ABT.