This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Scooters @ NYCB etc

If the curtain has not fully closed or the last note of music ended, I do tend to get peevish when someone climbs over me. If the performance is fully over, however, they have every right to leave. It's not my business why they need to leave; it is sufficient that they do have a need which supercedes my preference to stay for all the curtain calls.

... as long as they don't step on me.

There are two things that haven't been brought up yet:

1)leaving early - this is one of the reasons that Tues and Wed performances now begin at 7:30 -- to allow people who need to catch early trains, etc, to do so. So it's clearly an issue that has reached the ears of management.

2)the "Continental" seating in the orchestra of the NYState Theater. This makes it very difficult for both the people who need to leave for whatever reason, and who wish to remain seated.

So, the earlier hours help people catch those trains, but the seating style effectively blocks them from doing it without bothering other patrons!!

Can't win for losing, can you.

I think that drb has some really valid and important points to make, Mary Lynn. Think how you'd feel......

A scooter?

Really? A scooter?

I can understand some people wanting to leave once the curtain is down, especially those who have to deal with tight transportation schedules, but the idea of rolling through the theater on a scooter just seems dangerous to me.

At the New York State Theater, there are too many stairs to make scooting through the theater practical. At McCaw Hall, however, leaving a scooter near the coat-check, one could scoot right out of the lobby and down the ramp to Mercer...

Thank you, Jacki, for a post that says it all (link to vagansmom's post), and so well! I've described my own health problems before, and I'll only say here that to others I, too, look perfectly healthy, which is far from the truth! Because of my own difficulties, I am now more sensitive to the fact that others might have problems, too.

This is an interesting topic. I live in Miami, and believe me, here, compared to New York, the situation is even worse. We miamians are 100 % car-dependent, there's no public transportation, and our Carnival Center is far from everything. It's awful to see people literally RUNNING through the aisles to get to the parking lots, :wub: ( the young ones, the elderly, everyone) , while the dancers are still there, bowing for us and expecting , i suppose, our aknowledgement and approval(or dissapproval), BY APPLAUDING WITH MORE OR LESS ENTHUSIASM, :lightbulb: , NOT BY LEAVING THE THEATRE BEFORE COURTAIN CALL.

Coming from Cuba, where it's has been said that entertaining is all about the three B's (boxing, baseball and ballet), we see things in a totally different way. There are not old patrons ( no patrons whatsoever ), with prostate problems to start with,(80 % of the public is less than 40 y.o, half of it being less than 30), there are no parking garages to rush to, because there are not cars (horrible, i know), and then, there's generally nothing really too attractive to do after the ballet, so people just love to be in the theater...the longer, the better. To finish, over there ballet dancers are as beloved as NBA players or pop stars are here in America...people ADORES them :( with the greatest devotion, so they can hardly leave the stage after the performance...

this is MY OWN REAL, PERSONAL AND FACTUAL EXPERIENCE after 20 years going to the ballet in Cuba and 26 living on the island...

pd. Oh, over there people also applaud after a good movie...generally.

:mad: