This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire on Cd - any recommendations?

I wonder if someone could recommend to me a good version of Le Corsaire on Cd to purchase, or to get, as I am somewhat bewildered by the different arrangements of the music I have heard so far (for example, ABT's Corsaire on DVD is very different regarding music than Kirov's).

Especially I need the Jardin Animee section, but I would like the whole ballet.

Thanks a lot in advance

Silvy

natalia has posted elsewhere on this site, if mem. serves, about a Corsaire CD she recently found in japan, marketed by the japanese dance magazine, shinshokan.

i'm not sure if this includes a 'complete' Jardin Anime.

perhaps doug will chime in on the existence of any CDs that include the complete Jardin A.

Here is info about Richard Bonynge's recording of the 1868 revival, available from arkivmusic.com -

Release Date: 09/15/1992

Label: Decca Catalog #: 430286 Spars Code: DDD

Composer: Adolphe-Charles Adam

Conductor: Richard Bonynge

Orchestra/Ensemble: English Chamber Orchestra

Number of Discs: 2

Recorded in: Stereo

Length: 2 Hours 11 Mins.

This recording includes Delibes's original "Pas des fleurs," later called "Le jardin anime."

I bought the Bonynge recording from HMV Japan, and it arrived a week or two ago. I had trouble finding a reasonably priced copy anywhere less exotic, though it looks like arkivmusic.com have it in stock, too. (I hadn't heard of arkivmusic at the time.)

"Pas des fleurs" is track 6 on disc 2. It's 3 minutes and 11 seconds long.

On a hunch, I googled for "cddb", the old database where people entered track names for their CDs and shared them with everyone. You can search for CDs that have a "song" with the exact title of "Pas des Fleurs":

Pas des Fleurs

but, unfortunately, that database only seems to know about the Bonynge recording, and a few false matches. (I tried a few other searches.) Still, I thought the database was worth mentioning, in case it helps someone else, for some other problem.

Actually, the pas de fleurs encompasses several tracks on the Bonynge and is nearly 14 minutes long. Track 6 includes the introductory measures and the best-known passage of the pas des fleurs, the waltz. This is followed by an adagio, two variations, two interludes, a coda and a final sortie based on the waltz music. Careful, though. This is Delibes's original and was much re-arranged and replaced in subsequent productions. Unfortunately, it will not accompany any existing version of the dance (even extant reconstructions) without modification. If you are in need of the Naila waltz (a combination of several passages from the pas de fleurs, all arranged to waltz meter), that is available on the Naxos "best of french ballet" release.

There is a 2 CD set oferred here http://fairy.ol.shopserve.jp/SHOP/4560219320062.html

it has the score for Le Corsaire as was performed by the Bolshoi Ballet for Grigorovich's production of 1994, with music revised by Sotnikov. It is a marvelous set, with all of the traditional 19th century additions and superbly conducted.

Heres the page transalted through google http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...%2589%26hl%3Den

I wonder if someone could recommend to me a good version of Le Corsaire on Cd to purchase, or to get, as I am somewhat bewildered by the different arrangements of the music I have heard so far (for example, ABT's Corsaire on DVD is very different regarding music than Kirov's).

Especially I need the Jardin Animee section, but I would like the whole ballet.

Thanks a lot in advance

Silvy

Hi - I have just run across your posting from a few years back. If you are still looking for a Le Corsaire CD, there is a new recording, the Anna-Marie Holmes version, as danced by ABT and many others. It was recorded in January 2011 with the Evergreen Orchestra and has just been released. It is the complete ballet in three acts, directed by Kevin Galiè, using his arrangements. You can get the 2-CD set, or download individual tracks here

I hope this helps.

Kellie