22 replies to this topic

#16 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

was it not at one point the fashion for child 'toe dancers' to be billed as a 'child pavlova' or something to that effect?

You are correct. I believe this happened right across the world. Well, certainly in England and Australia.

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,863 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

if you haven't already done so, Leonid, have you considered sending your thorough message above, as a letter to the editor, to the paper that published the article in question?

Thank you.

I had thought of doing this, but one can only rock so many boats in one's life.

On second thoughts, I will.

Please do. This is no small matter.

#18 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

if you haven't already done so, Leonid, have you considered sending your thorough message above, as a letter to the editor, to the paper that published the article in question?

Thank you.

I had thought of doing this, but one can only rock so many boats in one's life.

On second thoughts, I will.

Please do. This is no small matter.

In the UK, newspapers seldom, if ever, publish letters criticising actual content in an article on dance. I suppose it would be seen to undermine their status in some way.

They do however, publish letters offering a different viewpoint in terms of appreciation of a given stage work offered by a retained reviewer.

Ps
I did.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,863 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

In the UK, newspapers seldom, if ever, publish letters criticising actual content in an article on dance. I suppose it would be seen to undermine their status in some way.

They do however, publish letters offering a different viewpoint in terms of appreciation of a given stage work offered by a retained reviewer.

I find that's true over here, too, at least as far as the NY and LA Times are concerned.

#20 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

In the UK, newspapers seldom, if ever, publish letters criticising actual content in an article on dance. I suppose it would be seen to undermine their status in some way. . . .

I find that's true over here, too, at least as far as the NY and LA Times are concerned.

But The New York Times is very diligent about printing corrections, and in the web versions the corrections are right there, beside the original article. Maybe the Guardian does likewise?

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,863 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

But the corrections tend to be about relatively minor points and very specific ones, not generally applicable to an article that is simply wide of the mark in multiple respects.

#22 scherzo

scherzo

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

This month's Dancing Times has picked up the story. They might be more likely to publish the letter?

#23 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:58 AM

This is a fascinating thread. I cannot thank you all enough. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):