This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

After the show . . .

O'Neals brings back so many memories. After stopping at O'Neals, I often would walk up Broadway with friends to my upper West Side apartment, stopping to pick up freshly baked bagels. Also, sometimes I'd go to the old Russian Tea Room or the Carnegie Tavern after City Center or Carnegie Hall performances.

And before O'Neal's, there was the Lincoln Lounge, a sort of left-over-from-Hell's-Kitchen kind of bar which was directly opposite the NY State Theater stage door on Columbus Ave. Full of techies and corps people. Looked kind of rough trade, but was actually one of those legendary NYC corner neighborhood bars where they had hearts of gold.

Thanks, papeetepatrick, for that great article. And Mel for the reminder about the Lincoln Lounge (couldn't remember the name). MJ, I started beginner classes at Ballet Florida 2 years ago; it's still a pretty lively place. :dunno:

After a matinee at the Lincoln Center, I would walk through Central Park back to my hotel. If an evening performance, I would walk through whatever street I fancied that would take me back to my hotel. I usually find an interesting ethnic restaurant on one of these jaunts and buy myself a nice dessert, which I later enjoy with a cup of tea, just before turning in.

A great Irish pub/restaurant with nice dining room in the back is Kennedy's on 57th between 8th and 9th. I enjoy having dinner in front of the fireplace. If you walk down past Fordham at Lincoln Center and make a left onto 57th street, it is a few doors down. Feels like my favorite pubs in Dublin. Cosmic Coffee shop is no longer there, neither is Coliseum books. Memories. :dunno:

The Lincoln lounge sounds skanky.

MJ