This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Repertory '08 discussion thread

The '08 rep is posted here from here.

As a traveler, I think I'm looking at Program One, to see Filling Station once in my life. They're coming to NYC in Oct '08 - my guess is they won't bring it. The New Works Festival sounds really exciting, but may conflict with other travel plans (I wonder if that is what will come to NYC).

How do locals and subscribers feel? Are you excited about anything in particular? Any disappointments?

The '08 rep is posted here from here.

As a traveler, I think I'm looking at Program One, to see Filling Station once in my life. They're coming to NYC in Oct '08 - my guess is they won't bring it. The New Works Festival sounds really exciting, but may conflict with other travel plans (I wonder if that is what will come to NYC).

How do locals and subscribers feel? Are you excited about anything in particular? Any disappointments?

I am both excited and a bit disappointed with the Jerome Robbins program. I am excited to see Fancy Free again and really looking forward to West Side Story - especially to see who will sing. Although I love In the Night, I was hoping for the return of Dances at a Gathering.

Of all the Ballanchine ballets, why Divertimento No. 15? I wasn't thrilled with it this season so I am not looking forward to its return.

I am definitely looking forward to the 10 World Premieres. There was a webcast of the press conference on nbc11.com. Three of the works will have commissioned scores. John Adams is composing the music for the Mark Morris piece and Isaac Mizrahi is designing the costumes. Mark Morris (who spoke via satellite from NY) also stated that the piece would feature 7 dancers. They did not state which other pieces would have commissioned scores. I am especially happy that Julia Adam will be creating another work. I enjoyed Night and imaginal disc.

I am also looking forward to the Visiting Companies program. I am especially curious about A Delicate Battle, especially since it is the work that put Matjash Mrozewski on the map. Although not great, I enjoyed Concordia and hope that he is asked to create another work for the company in the next few years.

I am always happy to see Giselle. I was wondering which full length we would get to see. Also looking forward to the encores of Firebird, Eden/Eden, and Carousel. Wondering who else will perform the After the Rain Pas de deux. Damian and Yuan Yuan performed it at the gala.

I really like the idea of having a subscription program with visiting companies, but in this case, my hope is that the two Canadian companies show up in Seattle courtesy of the dance series at the Paramount. (Or at least Vancouver.) I don't think I want to travel to SF to see them.

I'm having a hard time getting that travel fever for SFB this year, but maybe as the season gets close, I'll feel happier about it.

The New Works festival abuts the one program I want to see in Paris (April 20-1). I think Paris and London will win out, but if someone loading fares for one of the airlines has "fat fingers" between now and then and there's a mistake fare to SFO or OAK, I'll jump on it for a weekend.

It seems like a holding pattern set of programs.

For Balanchine why Divertimento #15, which was done without any wit or understanding this year, instead of Symphony in C, which was done with quite some brilliance, and a great crowd pleaser to boot? Diamonds really depends on a Julie Diana or perhaps Yuanyuan Tan to pull it off.

Why Fancy Free and West Side Story on the same bill? Why not Dances at a Gathering? Or Square Dance (not Robbins but even better)? Is Michael Kidd worth reviving?

And why not Symphonic Variations or Monotones I & II while there are dancers around who still remember doing them?

But Carousel I'm really looking forward to seeing again.