This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet in San Antonio!

Thank God above that San Antonio was selected for this gracious gift from Heaven. Forgive my gushing but I'm trying not to hyperventilate at such a wonderful opportunity for our city.

Here's the link to get advance tickets and avoid the ticket "monster". :yucky:

http://www.artssanantonio.org/performances...event.asp#13695

Ask for Laurie. You may call (210) 226-2891 or email Laurie personally at laurie@artssanantonio.org

There seems to be a Royal Ballet US Tour shaping up, although I haven't seen a release of the whole thing. They are also at the Mann Center in Philly in July, performing Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake.

Green green green.

What a golden opportunity for those fortunate enough to be in Texas at the time. The stars appearing are the cream of RB's crop. Cojocaru is well known, but Nunez is wonderful (a favorite of mine), and Galeazzi is multi faceted. Kobborg is also well known but don't overlook Soares who is terrific. Enjoy!

Memo, I had to laugh at your predicament! Been there, done that, close to self-mutilation.

Giannina

There seems to be a Royal Ballet US Tour shaping up, although I haven't seen a release of the whole thing. They are also at the Mann Center in Philly in July, performing Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake.

Dale,

I'd love to hear more details on the Philly dates. Please share anything you find out .

Thanks!

Green green green.

What a golden opportunity for those fortunate enough to be in Texas at the time. The stars appearing are the cream of RB's crop. Cojocaru is well known, but Nunez is wonderful (a favorite of mine), and Galeazzi is multi faceted. Kobborg is also well known but don't overlook Soares who is terrific. Enjoy!

Memo, I had to laugh at your predicament! Been there, done that, close to self-mutilation.

Giannina

Can ya bellieve it!!!!! Its not all bad I will be seeing a RBS end of year performance at the Opera House.

I did see Nunez and Soares at the YAGP Gala last week and I agree she is devine! I would love to see her in a full length ballet and Sleeping Beauty seems like a perfect fit. How exciting for San Antonio. :yucky:

Can ya bellieve it!!!!! Its not all bad I will be seeing a RBS end of year performance at the Opera House.

I did see Nunez and Soares at the YAGP Gala last week and I agree she is devine! I would love to see her in a full length ballet and Sleeping Beauty seems like a perfect fit. How exciting for San Antonio. :off topic:

I saw Nunez and Soares in Sleeping Beauty last June when the RB visited Washington DC. I enjoyed the performance very much and would recommend to those that could catch it to do so. I also saw Cojocaru and Kobborg on the same weekend and found them very fine also.

Here's the link to the San Antonio Convention and Visitor's Bureau, for those interested in making the trip. Our gorgeous Riverwalk hotels are within walking distance of the theater. http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/

Please mention this forum when you buy tickets. :)

I'm thinking about making the trip. Not too bad a jaunt from here (Phx, AZ). So what's a nice hotel that's nearby?

thx

-goro-

Thank God above that San Antonio was selected for this gracious gift from Heaven. Forgive my gushing but I'm trying not to hyperventilate at such a wonderful opportunity for our city.

Here's the link to get advance tickets and avoid the ticket "monster". :(

http://www.artssanantonio.org/performances...event.asp#13695

Ask for Laurie. You may call (210) 226-2891 or email Laurie personally at laurie@artssanantonio.org

I just bought my tickets and I'll be driving down from Arizona (wiht a nice stop-over at my Parent's home in Abq, NM). I got tix for 3 shows: Th, Fri, Sa (matinee) and will decide later if i want to pick up the Sat evening also. I got orch center, row L on thursday, N on Fri/Sat. Looking at the seating chart, those seemed like very good seats. I wasn't sure if i wanted that or to go up to the mezannine. I do like being a bit closer as it's nice to be able to see the dancers' faces and expressions, plus it's nice to be in more of a "sweet spot" for the orchestra.

So any recommendations on (a) place to stay and (b) things to do while not watchign the ballet?

thx

-goro-

I would try to see Nunoz or Cojucaru.

Does anyone know anything about their tour of Mexico. I have a sister there who I would love to buy a ticket for for a birthday gift. If anyone has input on anyway to order those online I would really appreciate the feedback.

I'm definetly going! I'm hoping to catch two shows but I don't know who to watch. :) I know all the Aurora's and Lilac's will be great but I want to watch someone who is devine in this ballet. Any suggestions?

I'm sure all the Auroras will be wonderful but Cojocaru is sublime. Definitely try to see her in this if you can.

I've seen Cojocaru and Nunez as Aurora. Both are really good - it depends on what you like better. If you like your ballerinas waiflike, go for Cojocaru. If you like them stronger (think Ashley Bouder) go for Nunez. It's a real Sleeping Beauty, worth the trip and the money.

Lovely description, I would see both. :)

I'd second Leigh's descriptions. Either or both would be great to see. But watch the casting closely. The RB may "load"

the first night, as it did in DC last June. Cojocaru did Aurora, Nunez did Lilac Fairy, and (I think) Sarah Lamb did Princess

Florine. Three Auroras in one performance. Hey, it doesn't hurt to watch the casting bulletins!

I've seen Cojocaru and Nunez as Aurora. Both are really good - it depends on what you like better. If you like your ballerinas waiflike, go for Cojocaru. If you like them stronger (think Ashley Bouder) go for Nunez. It's a real Sleeping Beauty, worth the trip and the money.

The cast list says:

The Royal Ballet principals include Alina Cojocaru (July 6th), Mara Galeazzi, Sarah Lamb (July 7th Mat), Viacheslav Samodurov (July 7th Mat), Roberta Marquez (July 7th Eve), Marianela Nuñez, Tamara Rojo (July 5th), Federico Bonelli (July 5th), Johan Kobborg (July 6th), Ivan Putrov (July 7th Eve), Thiago Soares and Edward Watson.

--

I'm guessing that Marianela Nunez will be Lilac fairy since she's not designated a particular night.

-goro-