This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Rolando Sarabia

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

:flowers: how confusing!!

Do not understand why is it so difficult to get more accurate info from the Company!

Well, let's see who is coming and hope that the programme is properly done as far as dancers (own and guests) are concerned.

#47 lamanta

lamanta

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Ok, I am going to attempt to post without breaking any rules.(third times a charm :flowers: ) I have contacted the CCBM and requested that they remove my name from their site and I also let them know that the information on the festival's website is extremely inaccurate. Karen Coury the director of marketing for the company assured me that this was a mistake and she was unaware of this website, but that it would be fixed as soon as possible.

#48 lamanta

lamanta

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:35 AM

http://www.cubanclas...rg/dancers.html

This is the link to the updated CCBM website and their current roster.

#49 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

Here is a review from el Nuevo Herald by Orlando Taquechel, with some background material on the company and the production – that of Jorge Texeira; also a critical note in the responses regarding terminology used. [This might be better posted elsewhere, but does help continue the discussion above.]

Don Quijote of CCBM

A rough google translation of a portion, giving a sense of the differences between Basilios:

Rolando Sarabia and Lorena Feijoo as Basilio and Kitri, the girl who Don Quixote mistakes for his Dulcinea, offered an impeccable partnership on Saturday.

Sarabia is a consummate performer. His extraordinary technique was evident during their variations with multiple rotations closed off in a lingering rubato, and his capacity as a partner and actor defined his interactions with Kitri, down to his flirtations concealed in a feigned death.

Feijoo was splendid in the two performances (on Sunday with Vitor Luiz as Basilio). Her Kitri is an eloquent and indefatigable artistic achievement from beginning to end and the effect of her diagonals in counterface to the capes of the bullfighters was a showstopper.

For his part, Vitor Luiz reaffirmed his status as a performer capable of drawing up a story with each move of extraordinary candor. It's difficult to describe but wonderful to witness.

There is no forgetting at the end of the pas de deux of Act III, Luiz launching Feijoo into the heavens. By the time she landed firmly back into his arms, the audience had risen to their feet as if impelled by a spring. From that moment, both would get the longest and most enthusiastic ovation of the weekend.

#50 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

Don Quijote of CCBM

There is no forgetting at the end of the pas de deux of Act III, Luiz launching Feijoo into the heavens. By the time she landed firmly back into his arms, the audience had risen to their feet as if impelled by a spring. From that moment, both would get the longest and most enthusiastic ovation of the weekend.

Ah...THAT was exciting. They did the much controversial Alonso's finale in which the bailarin, right after spinning his ballerina in fast supported pirouettes-(the last ones using just his left hand)-, throws her into the air, where she then does a quick sissonne just to land into his arms in a daring super close to the floor final fish dive...
Bravo! :clapping:

#51 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

Sarabita is currently under contract with World Dance Agency, LLC.
http://worldanceagency.com/photos.html

#52 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

This is intriguing. Whatever happens, I wish he could finally have a company to settle...

#53 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Such a waste of talent for him not to be with a company!

#54 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

He has tried several since his defection from Alonso's, BB, but with no luck. We had him at MCB for a while and he didn't look as if he was enjoying himself with the repertoire. He's meant for the warhorses roles, and Balanchine was just not suited for his dancing style.

#55 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

He has tried several since his defection from Alonso's, BB, but with no luck. We had him at MCB for a while and he didn't look as if he was enjoying himself with the repertoire. He's meant for the warhorses roles, and Balanchine was just not suited for his dancing style.

He would certainly fit with ABT . His DQ guest appearance was,i thought, well-received but no future appearance followed.

#56 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

A little snip of his TPDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RccFn3DpQ_8

...and rehearsing with Mary Carmen Catoya back in his MCB times...

#57 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

What a shame he isn't dancing regularly with a home company!

#58 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Agreed, Birdsall. I think that the man is remarkably talented !

#59 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think he likes the circuit environment...

#60 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]He would certainly fit with ABT . His DQ guest appearance was,i thought, well-received but no future appearance followed.[/size][/font]

Bingham, I would have agreed with this. I saw him perform several times with the Miami City Ballet and my feeling was that he could be one of the greatest male dancers ever !

He had Charisma, nobility, adaptability and a fineness of dance that I felt made him Extra Special. After he left MCB I thought that ABT would be a perfect place for him. A home company like this might have been a place to focus and be focused on, eventually to be acknowledged as one of the all-time greats.

If as Cristian is now suggesting, he might actually like "the circuit environment" then fine. If he's happy there then I'm happy for him and he and us may still have the opportunity to enjoy greatness as well. As Tamara Rojo expressed in one of her many interviews after taking over ENB, she went into the job thinking that it was all about dance and quickly concluded that it was much more about the wellbeing of the humans who were doing the dancing.

Footnote (added later) :

This is Tamara Rojo's actual quote:

"I always thought I would see that the art comes first and therefore these decisions have to be made. Then you meet the person and the art cannot come first, because a person is much more important."

http://www.guardian....o-ballet-dancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):