This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rolando Sarabia

fandeballet

bart...it would be difficult to really describe in words what Sarabita was in his early career...he was FIRE onstage! Never seen so much control in multiple pirouettes in a dancer EVER...or such elegance and command in the classical/romantic roles. The Sarabita that South Florida got to see is just a totally different dancer from that of Havana...from night to day.

If anything, this clip-(which I have posted before, I know)-shows him from those early, glorious days...

Thanks, Cristian. Sarabia's is actually quite a fascinating story about how hard it is to be an artist in a changing world.

I don't seem to have seen that clip before. It's fascinating to watch him growing up, starting as a child and growing into young adult star he became in Havana. I can sense a little bit what we did NOT get a chance to see at MCB. On the other hand, I hope he has benefitted from having to stretch himself to perform in the very different style he found there.

I saw that there are studio videos (Miami?) also available on that YouTube. but they are not well-made. It would be lovely to see him in a professionally shot performance video.

It was common years ago in Spain to wish someone "Suerte y Moneda." I don't know whether this is used in Cuba, but I certainly wish him both.

As we know now, Rolandito Sarabia is no longer part of the Miami City Ballet roster. Thanks to CarolinaM, it looks like now he is is listed in the cast of the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami for their upcoming presentation of Le Corsaire in the Festival de Peralada, Cataluna-Spain. Now, the interesting part is that he's listed as a member of the Houston Ballet-(!)

Thanks for telling cubanmiamiboy! It seems that Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami has sent a not very accurate info about their guests, because they also mentioned Adyaris Almeida as member of the Cincinatti Ballet which was not as she is with Corella Ballet Castilla y León from the very beginning. We told them about and after checking they ammended the error.

Does anyone here know where is Rolando Sarabia dancing now? Maybe it is again a wrong information and we could ask them to put it right.

[Moderator beanie on] I've just had to remove a post having to do with one of the details concerning the projected tour to Spain. Unfortunately, "I know for a fact" does not meet Ballet Talk's standards for official sources that can be verified. Anyone with official news, please share it with us. Thank you for your cooperation.[Moderator beanie off]

As we know now, Rolandito Sarabia is no longer part of the Miami City Ballet roster. Thanks to CarolinaM, it looks like now he is is listed in the cast of the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami for their upcoming presentation of Le Corsaire in the Festival de Peralada, Cataluna-Spain. Now, the interesting part is that he's listed as a member of the Houston Ballet-(!)

Thanks for telling cubanmiamiboy! It seems that Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami has sent a not very accurate info about their guests, because they also mentioned Adyaris Almeida as member of the Cincinatti Ballet which was not as she is with Corella Ballet Castilla y León from the very beginning. We told them about and after checking they ammended the error.

Does anyone here know where is Rolando Sarabia dancing now? Maybe it is again a wrong information and we could ask them to put it right.

I´ve also noticed that Sarabia is listed in the cast for Peralada´s Festival "Corsaire" Could that be a mistake? If it´s true I will go to see them. Lorena Feijoo, Sarabia and Taras Domitru together...I wonder if we could see them together again.

MCB offered him plenty of opportunities to star and to develop dance skills that would actually be quite helpful in building an international career in today's real world of ballet. For whatever reasons, it didn't work.

bart...Sarabita finally gives the answer:

"I left the MCB because Balanchine is not my style..."

Rolando Sarabia. "El Nuevo Herald". 05/20/10

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2010/05/19/72...ena-feijoo.html

I´ve also noticed that Sarabia is listed in the cast for Peralada´s Festival "Corsaire" Could that be a mistake? If it´s true I will go to see them. Lorena Feijoo, Sarabia and Taras Domitru together...I wonder if we could see them together again.

According to the Herald Link...

"I will be 22 July to 7 August on tour in Spain with Pedro Pablo and CCBM, dancing with Xiomara Reyes, Lorena and the pas de deux of Corsair,'Sarabia reports".

and also to the festival webpage.

http://www.festivalperalada.com/cas/2010/p...n/a811miami.htm

To "Balanchine is not my style," in the Olga Connor article linked to above, Rolando Sarabia does add that "I'm happy to have incorporated [balanchine's work] into my curriculum."

Lorena Feijóo danced with Sarabia on Saturday night and dances with Vitor Luiz this afternoon -- two dancers it would appear with completely different styles, night and day apart. I've only seen Luiz here in San Francisco, who is a very refined, you might say Mozartian dancer. He and Maria Kochetkova danced a beautiful and generously detailed version of Helgi Tomasson's "Haffner Symphony" this past season. Did anyone see the two Basilios in Miami?

I was also interested in this (in a rough Google translation)

The dancer was in Ecuador to train with his father, Rolando Sarabia, who works with the Chamber Ballet in Quito Ecuador. It had been five years since he saw his parents. "At that elevation, the [physical] resistance is more intense, but your training [session] is a better one. He says he's very happy to have been with his family. Partnering with Lorena captivates him. "She's a great dancer, very disciplined. Everything becomes very enjoyable, she brings a mutual security and a great virtuosity to the dance.'' Don Quijote has everything, says, "the virtuous, the lyrical, the romantic, and the action is spectacular.''

[Moderator beanie on]I have made a post invisible, in which claims about the accuracy or inaccuracy of the casting in Peralada have been made by a first-time poster.

Please -- everyone -- make yourself familiar with Ballet Talk's policies about posting news. "I happen to know" is not sufficient. If you do not have official news, or a published source such as the Nuevo Herald article cited by cubanmiamiboy, please wait until you do.Thanks.[Moderator beanie off]

Cristian and Quiggan, thanks for your reports. I'm delighted to read about Sarabia's quest for the chance to dance as he wants --AND his appreciation for the way that his Balanchine experience has benefited his development.

Lorena Feijóo danced with Sarabia on Saturday night and dances with Vitor Luiz this afternoon -- two dancers it would appear with completely different styles, night and day apart. I've only seen Luiz here in San Francisco, who is a very refined, you might say Mozartian dancer. He and Maria Kochetkova danced a beautiful and generously detailed version of Helgi Tomasson's "Haffner Symphony" this past season. Did anyone see the two Basilios in Miami?

I saw Lorena with Sarabita last night...and in today's matinee she will dance with Luiz. Will report back.

CCBM roster (on their website) lists the following dancers:

Jordan-Elizabeth Long Vilma Machin Karen Mata Tommy Bettin

Taras Domitro (guest) Grace-Anne Powers Allen Rivas Mariana Manfred Rafael Vecino

Hayna Gutierrez Kate Kadow Eriberto Jimenez Samantha Power Angela Rebelo

Miguel Angel Blanco Valia Gonzalez Oscar Ruge Rachel Pino Emily Spencer

Christine Hodges Raydel Caceres Janelle Chaviano Ignacio Rivero

Ernesto Borrayo Carla Olivera Julianna Saenz Carlos Manuel

Gleidson Vasconcelos Leah Burge Bianca Caoutte

I know many of these dancers. Here is a list of the ones who I know are elsewhere and what they are doing:

Jordan Elizabeth Long - HET

Karen Mata - teaching in South Carolina

Tommy Bettin - Suzanne Farrell's company

Taras Domitro - SF Ballet

Grace-Anne Powers - LaLaLa Human Steps

Kate Kadow - Morphoses

Samantha Powers - MCB School

Miguel Angel Blanco - Joffrey Ballet

Rachel Pino - Explore Dance Theatre

Gleidson Vasconcelos - choreographing and guest dancing

Leah Burge - Joffrey Ballet School

[Moderator beanie on]I have made a post invisible, in which claims about the accuracy or inaccuracy of the casting in Peralada have been made by a first-time poster.

Please -- everyone -- make yourself familiar with Ballet Talk's policies about posting news. "I happen to know" is not sufficient. If you do not have official news, or a published source such as the Nuevo Herald article cited by cubanmiamiboy, please wait until you do.Thanks.[Moderator beanie off]

[Moderator Beanie Back On]

This goes for all dancer news: where they are dancing, where they are now, etc. If you don't have a link or citation, please don't post it on the board or it will be removed.

As bart wrote "I know" or "I heard" or "I happen to know" and other insider info is not official news. It's a simple rule. We're not judging the spirit or veracity of the post. It just doesn't belong here unless it's official.

(We don't have time to send email every time we need to edit a post.)

[Moderator Beanie Back Off]

I have attached links for the dancers (that I am aware) of that are no longer with the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami. The CCBM website has not been updated in a long time.

Jordan Elizabeth Long - HET http://www.het-nationale-ballet.nl/index.p...ncers_coryphees

Karen Mata - teaching in South Carolina http://www.coastaldancecentre.com/Faculty.html

Tommy Bettin - Suzanne Farrell's company http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/bal...artist_id=56039

Taras Domitro - SF Ballet http://www.sfballet.org/about/company/danc...asp?id=12340158

Grace-Anne Powers - LaLaLa Human Steps http://www.wbcorlando.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=114 (scroll down)

Kate Kadow - Morphoses http://www.danzaballet.com/modules.php?nam...le&sid=3024 (scroll down)

Samantha Powers - MCB School http://issuu.com/pinecrestschool/docs/pcs_..._spring10_final (scroll to pg 29)

Miguel Angel Blanco - Joffrey Ballet http://www.joffrey.com/company_artists.asp

Rachel Pino - Explore Dance Theatre http://www.exploredancetheater.com/

Gleidson Vasconcelos - choreography and guest dancing http://www.ethnicnewz.org/en/wbc-gold-meda...los-goes-boston

Thank you for the links, mira!

Do dancers guest for CCBM when they no longer are part of the main company? In Seattle, we've had former PNB dancers come back to guest, sometimes as character dancers, and sometimes in pure dancing roles. Le Yin, a former Principal Dancer who had to retire from full-time dancing due to knee injuries, recently took part in Doug Fullington's "Balanchine's Petipa" presentation at the Guggenheim with other company members.

I'm not sure how CCBM's contracts work.

I'd be happy to comment on that but don't have a link to any source... don't want to say something that would be a problem...

:-)

Thank you for the links, mira!

Do dancers guest for CCBM when they no longer are part of the main company? In Seattle, we've had former PNB dancers come back to guest, sometimes as character dancers, and sometimes in pure dancing roles. Le Yin, a former Principal Dancer who had to retire from full-time dancing due to knee injuries, recently took part in Doug Fullington's "Balanchine's Petipa" presentation at the Guggenheim with other company members.

I'm not sure how CCBM's contracts work.

According to the Herald Link...

"I will be 22 July to 7 August on tour in Spain with Pedro Pablo and CCBM, dancing with Xiomara Reyes, Lorena and the pas de deux of Corsair,'Sarabia reports".

So now it looks like that all is ok at the Peralada's web page.

http://www.festivalperalada.com/eng/2010/p...o/a811miami.htm

Many thanks to all BalletTalkers.

It will certainly be a very special event that of Peralada with such a great dancers all together.

Summer Festivals in La Costa Brava are really a must as for instance this year we also will have Joaquín de Luz at El Cap Roig and Lucia Lacarra at Porta Ferrada.

:)

Ok, I am going to attempt to post without breaking any rules.(third times a charm :flowers: ) I have contacted the CCBM and requested that they remove my name from their site and I also let them know that the information on the festival's website is extremely inaccurate. Karen Coury the director of marketing for the company assured me that this was a mistake and she was unaware of this website, but that it would be fixed as soon as possible.

Here is a review from el Nuevo Herald by Orlando Taquechel, with some background material on the company and the production – that of Jorge Texeira; also a critical note in the responses regarding terminology used. [This might be better posted elsewhere, but does help continue the discussion above.]

Don Quijote of CCBM

A rough google translation of a portion, giving a sense of the differences between Basilios:

Rolando Sarabia and Lorena Feijoo as Basilio and Kitri, the girl who Don Quixote mistakes for his Dulcinea, offered an impeccable partnership on Saturday.

Sarabia is a consummate performer. His extraordinary technique was evident during their variations with multiple rotations closed off in a lingering rubato, and his capacity as a partner and actor defined his interactions with Kitri, down to his flirtations concealed in a feigned death.

Feijoo was splendid in the two performances (on Sunday with Vitor Luiz as Basilio). Her Kitri is an eloquent and indefatigable artistic achievement from beginning to end and the effect of her diagonals in counterface to the capes of the bullfighters was a showstopper.

For his part, Vitor Luiz reaffirmed his status as a performer capable of drawing up a story with each move of extraordinary candor. It's difficult to describe but wonderful to witness.

There is no forgetting at the end of the pas de deux of Act III, Luiz launching Feijoo into the heavens. By the time she landed firmly back into his arms, the audience had risen to their feet as if impelled by a spring. From that moment, both would get the longest and most enthusiastic ovation of the weekend.

Don Quijote of CCBM

There is no forgetting at the end of the pas de deux of Act III, Luiz launching Feijoo into the heavens. By the time she landed firmly back into his arms, the audience had risen to their feet as if impelled by a spring. From that moment, both would get the longest and most enthusiastic ovation of the weekend.

Ah...THAT was exciting. They did the much controversial Alonso's finale in which the bailarin, right after spinning his ballerina in fast supported pirouettes-(the last ones using just his left hand)-, throws her into the air, where she then does a quick sissonne just to land into his arms in a daring super close to the floor final fish dive...

Bravo! :clapping: