This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cal Performance of Swan Lake

pacer31

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you would all be willing to help me out a bit here. First, let me start of by saying that I am by no means a knowledgable ballet enthusiast. My girlfriend has been dancing since a very young age, and I have taken interest in it to better appreciate and share her passion. Ballet is her life, and she is very, very passionate about it. Her favorite performer is Polina Semionova, and it has been a dream of hers to see her perform. I know that she very rarely performs in the United States, and I believe a performance in San Diego may have been her only visit. However, I was able to find information on a performance in California for next March. Living on the east coast, this is going to take a lot of planning and precision to be able to make this happen, but I would really like to take her and fulfill her dream. The information I got off the website is below, and I was wondering if you know anything of this particular performance (Swan Lake) and how involved Ms. Semionova's part is. I really appreciate your help on this!

Bill

From the website:

In 2006, the great prima ballerina Natalia Makarova thrilled Bay Area audiences with her dazzling new take on Tchaikovsky's tale of immortal love, choreographing and directing a fully staged production of Swan Lake showcasing Russia's renowned Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet. Accompanied by full orchestra, and featuring lavish sets and costumes, Makarova's lovely production returns by popular demand, this year featuring two superstar soloists (in selected performances) from Europe. Still in her early 20s and trained in Moscow, Polina Semionova is a principal at the Berlin State Ballet and recently conquered UK audiences as Odette/Odile in memorable performances with the English National Ballet ("dazzlingly seductive—a performance of total confidence and virtuosity," said the Sunday Times, London). Denis Matvienko, principal guest dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet, is an ideal Prince Siegfried and recently stirred New York crowds to delirium, "like a throwback to the days of wildly exhibitionistic star dancing by the likes of Rudolf Nureyev and Alexander Godunov" (The New York Times).

...Her favorite performer is Polina Semionova, and it has been a dream of hers to see her perform. I know that she very rarely performs in the United States, ... a performance in California for next March. Living on the east coast, this is going to take a lot of planning and precision to be able to make this happen, but I would really like to take her and fulfill her dream. The information I got off the website is below, and I was wondering if you know anything of this particular performance (Swan Lake) and how involved Ms. Semionova's part is.

Bill

An extremely beautiful ballerina, and about as involved as any part in ballet! You and she will probably remember it as long as you both shall live! Bon Voyage.

pacer -

It's the Tchaikovsky Perm ballet - they were in the East Coast doing Swan Lake last year (without guest stars, though) and it was a decent, solid production. The company tours a lot - the season is a year away, a web search also shows they will be at NJPAC in early March, but doing Sleeping Beauty and guest stars aren't announced. So keep following for more dates.