• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#46 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ardani has reserved (all center, i.e., numbered in the 100's) Orchestra Rows A-J, Grand Tier Row A (best, but only if you have very tiny legs...) for VIPs at $500, and Mid Mezz Row A for poorer VIPs at $250 for Opening Night. A post-perf party, photo book, and signed poster are the bonuses. They also say there will be VIP seats for the rest of the run. However, so far only some seats for the first few orchestra rows are no longer available. Those lucky VIPs, who will get a great view of the back of the conductor's head and avoid the sight of toe shoes... Well, Opening Night I'll have a great view of the back of their heads!

#47 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

So all of this will probably be sold out way before the performances, if not sold out already?.. I really want to see them, but I don't know what my schedule will be like at that time. Why did they put them on sale so far in advance?

#48 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

I don't know for sure, but it's an expensive tour. Getting a good share of box office in advance probably helps make it financially viable.

#49 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

So all of this will probably be sold out way before the performances, if not sold out already?.. I really want to see them, but I don't know what my schedule will be like at that time. Why did they put them on sale so far in advance?

For the fun of it, I checked the closing performance (April 20) ticket availability on City Center's site. Ignoring the seats listed as held back by Ardani (for Opening Night and ???, centers for Orch A-J, GT A, Mezz A), I found that first row center seats were available in each price range. So not exactly selling like hotcakes! Also, only a few of those VIPs are listed as sold for Opening Night by Ardani. I would guess those closer rows (obviously, some of these very undesirable) will eventually become available at more normal prices, wouldn't you think? Didn't check other dates, as the closing, with such a great program, should be relatively desired.
http://www.nycitycenter.org/index.cfm

#50 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

I'm ready to take the plunge. Despite just spending $700 on 4 Royal Ballet performances and outlaying a ton of cash for my StPetersburg trip (with a couple days in Moscow), I'm ready to buy the VIP tix to Opening Night if only to see and meet these wonderful dancers. I'll try to get less unreasonable tix to some other shows, but since i'll be coming up from Arizona, i'll end up with a limited selection, i expect.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Ardani website and it shows quite a few of the tix available for opening night. Orch A-J center and Grand Tier A (all). So, what should i get? Is Grand Tier preferable to Orch?

Grand Tier A 107-108?
or Orch J 108-109?

how close is too close for the Orchestra?

thx
-goro-

(I'm seeing JEWELS and CHOPINIANA/FIREBIRD/SCHEHEREZADE at Maryiinski and DON Q at Bolshoi, so i'm most excited about the Petipa program!)

#51 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

I'd go for the GT, but I always prefer Up in order to see floor patterns. The overhang is very close to the stage. It's ideal, IMO. (I once won a pair of tickets for Row A, GT, so I speak from lucky experience :lightbulb:.) I would not take an orchestra seat much in front of row K-L-M or thereabouts due to the low rake of the seating area. If you are pretty tall, you can probably sit closer more easily.

#52 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Even though it's still very far off & I'm sure we'll see plenty of changes, casting for the Kirov's City Center engagement is now up at Ardani's website. Good news: Lopatkina, Vishneva, and many other wonderful artists are scheduled to appear including Lopatkina's new partner Ivan Kozlov. Bad news: No Pavlenko or Zelensky. More bad news: The Awakening of Flora replaced by Jardin Anime & pdd from Le Corsaire.

Here's the link to the casting:

http://www.ardani.com/april08.htm

[Edited by Helene to highlight the casting link.]

#53 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

No Pavlenko, no Obraztsova, but Somova in Serenade, Ballet Imperial, Bayadère, Paquita, Don Quixote and Etudes ? It's getting ridiculous.

#54 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

Odd that Serenade only has two principals listed.

I only have tickets for the 17th and 18th. The 17th is Forsythe, and I'm not sure which dancers would be best in those works. The 18th has a Somova/Korsuntsev Serenade -- and Somova's extensions will be dampened by the tulle, and she'll be mitigated by two other principals -- a Vishneva/Fadeev Rubies, and, at least on the schedule, a Lopatkina/Kozlov Ballet Imperial.

Maybe it's not time yet to sell those tickets on ebay...

#55 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

So no Flora's Awakening? A Somova-fest? I, too, am selling all except the opening-night tix on Ebay. Must keep the opener, as it's not just me; my family is coming with me to NYC, so won't ruin it for them. But the 5 other 'solo trips' to NYC that I had anticipated making during the run are now off my calendar. Saving my hard-earned annual leave for something else...perhaps a trip to Moscow for the opening of Bolshoi's reconstructed Flames of Paris in July '08? Oh yeah....

p.s. For Obraztsova's admirers, she usually dances the classical solo in A3 of Raymonda. So maybe you'll see her in that.

p.s.s. By the way, Pavlenko was not expected, due to happy personal reasons.

#56 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

No Pavlenko, no Obraztsova, but Somova in Serenade, Ballet Imperial, Bayadère, Paquita, Don Quixote and Etudes ? It's getting ridiculous.

Hi Azulynn! I totally agree with you :shake:, but now it's past ridiculous - it's bizarre, like the show "Torchwood."

According my friend in St. Pete, in the last two years, when the company performs Balanchine, it's usually "miscast, under-rehearsed and way below par, as in 'Balanchine' par." OK, that opinion may be unfair because the Vaganova style and Balanchine are diametrically opposed to one another. So, the Maryinsky's approach would be different than what we're used to. But, "miscast," & "under-rehearsed" doesn't sound promising to me. IMO Vaziev had better grab some living Balanchine experts to coach this company before they roll into New York next year.

I'm very happy that Novikova, Tereshkina and Kondaurova will be given central assignments. Lopatkina's 3rd Act Raymonda is not to be missed. The Forsythe would have been genius casting for Somova's hyperextend-nastics. The thought of her in any Balanchine, particularly "Ballet Imperial," or Petipa makes my eyes > :crying: . Fortunately, she isn't cast in the title role for Raymonda Act 3, but it's a long time between now and then :flowers: :blink: .

#57 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

I was particularly surprised not to see Somova cast in Forsythe, since, from all descriptions I've read, would be her realm.

#58 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

I seem to be not as unhappy with the announced casts as most of you guys. I was going to see only the first three progrmas anyway, and I think that even with the Somova-galore we're supposed to get enough of Lopatkina and Vishneva to justify keeping my tickets. At least for the moment. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed until April 2008 and hope that they both can make it to NY.

#59 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

Like Waelsung, I see the glass as half full. Especially now that I know that Pavlenko's absence is for her own reasons, though I do agree that Obraztsova's absence and that of many others continues to defy reason.

And sure, there's WAY WAY WAY too much Somova on that schedule but frankly, for me there's also way too much of Osmolkina & Golub in principal roles. But to make up for that we also get either Lopatkina or Vishneva at almost every performance, and there are some nights when we'll see both of them. Plus Tereshkina, Kondaurova, Kolb, Sarafanov, Fadeev, Shklyarov, Korsakov etc. If the casting holds in addition to lots of Lopatkina & Vishneva I'm also excited about getting my first look at Kolegova, seeing Kozlov's Golden Slave and getting to see how Gonchar & Bolshakova are developing. Also, let's not forget that there are lots of major roles in Serenade, Chopiniana,and Paquita that we don't have casting for, so there may still be reason to hope that we'll get to see some as yet uncast favorites. Tkachenko, anyone?

So you can see that I'm not planning on dumping any of my tickets at this point. Now, if Lopatkina or Vishneva cancel I may be joining the crowd at Ebay!

#60 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:39 AM

Tkachenko, anyone?

Yes! I like her a lot as she has a strong personality (getting to be a rarity at the Kirov) and is a hard worker who seems to get better season by season.

What has happened to Sofia Gumerova? She used to be featured a lot, and although a rather reticent dancer in many ways, I admired her lyrical quality. She was exceptionally good in Sylphides and Serenade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):