This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New Director for RDB

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

That you for that, support system. I knew he was teaching a children's class at SAB, but hadn't heard much about his teaching, so I appreciate your comments.

#17 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

I remember that master class... and his comment about them not turning on the heat for the children's classes! I do remember him talking about his childhood in the Danish system, but interestingly, he didn't talk much about the Bournonville technique, and I think I remember he didn't teach the class in the Bournonville style... I think I remember asking him what in the class would have represented Bournonville, and I think he responded that there was nothing... so... does that mean he's a convert to Balanchine? Is he in the wonderful position of being able to look back into the Bournonville technique and forward to dancers' contemporary technique? How might this affect the new repertoire the company may commission or acquire?

Anyone remember that short film about Hubbe where he hears he didn't get the AD job a couple of years ago? :)

#18 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:31 AM

The Danish paper Jyllands Posten has a video of a short interview with Hubbe - go to this page and scroll down to the heading 'Ny Balletmester er barn af huset' (New balletmaster is a child of the house) and click on 'Se video'. I assume it's in Danish but I can't get it to play any sound - would love to know what he's saying!

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

It doesn't like my browser (Safari) so I can't help -- although I doubt I'd understand much. Sorry!

#20 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hubbe was in Toronto not so very long ago to set Sylphide on the NBOC - I think he even danced the role of James once or twice (not the day I had tickets though)...so I would say that at the very least he is considered an expert interpreter of Bournounville by companies around the world....

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

It doesn't like my browser (Safari) so I can't help -- although I doubt I'd understand much. Sorry!

If you have a Firefox browser and understand Danish, it might be worth a try. My feed is a bit jerky (even on DSL) and volume is very low, though.

Nikolaj looks every bit the spiffy Viking!

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

I can get it to resolve on Firefox and IE 7, but I get about three seconds, and then it starts buffering again. He's got great bones, though!

The article says he will dance in New York until January or February of 2008 and then assume his role with RDB in the summer of 2008.

#23 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

The RDB press release, now in English:

The Royal Danish Theatre Board of Directors has on 29 March appointed Nikolaj Hübbe as new Artistic Director of the Royal Danish Ballet for the tenure of 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2012. The decision embraces the unanimous nomination by the recruitment committee. The managing director of the Royal Danish Theatre has furthermore appointed Nikolaj Hübbe as principal stage director of the Royal Danish Ballet for the period of 1 August 2007 to 30 June 2008 with responsibility for co-managing the repertoire for the upcoming seasons.

Nikolaj Hübbe is an obvious choice as artistic director. He has for many years enjoyed international acclaim as principal dancer at the New York City Ballet. He has over the years nurtured close ties with Denmark and the Royal Danish Ballet both as visiting performer and as director, such as his recent staging of La Sylphide. With his Danish background and international experience Nikolaj Hübbe is well prepared to lead the ballet in the years to come.
Mads Øvlisen, Chairman of the Board

Excerpt from Nikolaj Hübbe’s application:

"Despite my many years of absence from Danish ballet, I still consider myself to be a Danish dancer. Naturally, with the term ‘Danish’ I mean my upbringing and the training I received at Kongens Nytorv – Bournonville and dramatised ballet, the art of storytelling through dance. I know that the Royal Danish Ballet is born of this tradition. I would find this an exciting point of departure in creating new and modern storytelling ballets to thus bring the Royal Danish Ballet profile in tune with the new audience of the 21st century."

#24 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Congratulation Nikolaj. I am sure he will be missed at both NYCB and SAB.

#25 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

Eva Kistrup discusses this in her Letter from Copenhagen in the latest DanceViewTimes

#26 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

Eva Kistrup discusses this in her Letter from Copenhagen in the latest DanceViewTimes

Hübbe . . . has only choreographed snippets, like a piece for the opening of a new Danish railway line

This made me laugh out loud, imagining such a thing in the US of A. The Danes do love their ballet, I guess. Lucky Danes.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

In an interview in the September 2009 issue of Dancing Times (p.29), writer John Guy gives some background about Hubbe's appointment:

Hubbe's path to the position of ballet master of The Royal Danish Ballet was not smooth. After the disastrous management of the Royal Theatre led to a long row of disappointments, Hubbe first applied for the position in 1999. He was interviewed, then given the impression he would be appointed, but later received a phone call in New York saying that "they had decided to appoint someone else". "They", in fact, was the individual who was responsible for it all, making yet another mistake. Eventually the manager was eased out, so it became inevitable that Hubbe would later become ballet master when he retired from New York City Ballet last year.

The silver linings for North American audiences were nearly a decade more of performances in NYC and guesting, and the beautiful stagings of "La Sylphide" in particular that he had time to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):