This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New Director for RDB

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:54 AM

The Royal Danish Ballet has just announced that Nikolai Hubbe will succeed Frank Andersen as director of the company from the end of next season.

#2 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

What terrific news! Congratulations to Mr. Hubbe, and to RDB for finally getting it right. Best of luck.

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

What terrific news! Congratulations to Mr. Hubbe, and to RDB for finally getting it right. Best of luck.

I'm glad for Hubbe too and hope it works out well for both him and the RDB

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

I'm stunned. An artist in Copenhagen!

Seriously, this is the best thing that's happened to the company since 1994. I'm sure we will see good things coming from this.

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

I think I'm going to faint :)

I'm not sure who is to be congratulated more -- Hubbe or RDB :flowers: :flowers:

#6 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

Both, but even though Hubbe has been dancing less here in New York, he'll leave a void. RDB's considerable gain is NYCB's loss.

#7 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

After so many seasons with "Bournonville in Hell" (as in the title of Alexandra's essay), perhaps some hope for a "Bournonville in Heaven" ? ;)

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

After so many seasons with "Bournonville in Hell" (as in the title of Alexandra's essay), perhaps some hope for a "Bournonville in Heaven" ? ;)

Yes! Bournonville, classical dancing, taste, artistry -- all are about to get a huge dose of antibiotics. :)

It's not that he'll make the whole repertory Bournonville, though. I've interviewed Hubbe several times over the last 15 years, and one of the things he's said consistently is that Bournonville is the well to which you return after dancing other ballets, and your Bournonville dancing will be enriched by your experiences. I think that's a very good metaphor. The "Sylphide" staging he did for the RDB, which the company brought to DC, was almost perfect, and the most amazing thing of all -- this company which had so many foreign dancers actually had the style.

#9 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

I wish I could be happy over this announcement but, selfishly, I'm despondent. Nikolai has been dancing lately like such a god.

His Square Dance last season was the first time I've REALLY been dazzled by the male solo since Bart Cook days. Very different from Bart but mesmerizing. The entire theater seemed to hold it's breath. I loved Boal in this role but the Cook comparison was still in my head. I thought of no one but Hubbe when he was on.

I suppose, considering his age, we wouldn't have had him too much longer & this is a great move for him and for RDB ... BUT ...

#10 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Wow.

:)

During the Erik Bruhn Competition in Toronto, Frank Anderson was asked about a successor....I thought at the time that it was a rather rude question, seeing as he still had some time to go as AD....

This is wonderful news for the RDB. I'm sorry that I haven'te seen Mr. Hubbe dance live...maybe there's still time??

m2

#11 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

I'm glad for this appointment. Hubbe is an artist, and this will force even more out of him; he's needed this kind of challenge for a while. This is only a prediction, but I don't think the big change will be in repertory or slant of the company. It will be in the attitude of the dancers. And that will mean a lot.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

The press release is, as yet, only in Danish. Here is a link to a Danish page with Hubbe's accomplishments -- and some nice photos. (The photos are in English :) )

Nikolaj Hubbe

I can sympathize with NYCB goers. After so many seasons when he was injured, though, I'm glad he's going out on a high. His one role here this "season" was the divertissement in "Miidsummer" and he was, as zerbinetta wrote in a different context, mesmerizing.

Leigh, I think I would disagree on the repertory. I think there will be a change -- less neogrunge :blink: I do agree on morale. I did a piece on his production of "La Sylphide" for the Post when the company came to Washington a few years ago, and talked to most of the principals. Every one of them was very enthusiastic about working with Hubbe and talked about how inspiring he was.

Editing to add:
I just checked this link and the page is blank (6:21 p.m. Friday EST) Perhaps they're updating it?

#13 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

At 7:39 (EDT) it's back up. Only problem is clicking to enlarge the first thumbnail photo on the left enlarges the next one. The first photo cannot be seen at a decent size.

#14 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Besides the RDB repertory he grew up in, I think he should also be able to direct Balanchine and Robbins very well.

#15 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

A few years ago my daughter attended a master class Nikolaj Hubbe taught in Hartford. He is an impressive teacher with a great deal to offer. He also provided some Q&A time where he spoke at length about the Danish system and how his training and early career developed, including his decision to come to NYCB. I observed the class and I am sure that his natural leadership style will make him a well respected AD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):