• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

I'd say the most likely candidates among the women at this point seem to be Eleonora Abbagnato and Emilie Cozette, both scheduled to dance Cinderella, but they have embarassing weaknesses in the classics. Eleonora Abbagnato is nowhere near the required level technically, although she's liked for her acting skills and does a lot of creations. Emilie Cozette is IMO the least interesting "première danseuse" - she is technically strong (as far as the legs and feet go) but her upper body is stiff. She has always seemed to lack grace and projection on stage when I've seen her, most lately as the Queen of the Dryads.

I share your opinion about those two dancers, and would definitely be disappointed to see one of them promoted... Indeed that's not what I'd expect from a POB étoile :)

But now that a man of questionable classical technique has been promoted, there's nothing to prevent the promotion of women who don't really measure up to étoile standards either. Since Cozette has been given two performanced of Cinderella (with Ganio), versus one for Abbagnato (with Bélingard), the odds in her favour are perhaps stronger.

Two articles in today's Sydney Morning Herald also make a point about Cozette--and Karl Paquette--having proper POB pedigree:

"Karl and Emilie represent the company very well," said Lefevre. "They both attended the entire school dance program, they know all the ballet techniques and they get to interpret major roles. They are very, very good dancers who, I think, are very smart and generous."
http://www.smh.com.a...4761668608.html
http://www.smh.com.a...4761668605.html

Interesting that the company should have sent Paquette to Australia just as Bélingard was about to be promoted.

By the way, there's a dancer I really regret not seeing in that list: Fanny Fiat, who is in my opinion at least as talented as several dancers of that list, but has never got all the recognition she deserved...

Yes, she's excellent. And what elevation! But what can those poor sujets do? There are many premières danseuses but the management seems reluctant to promote any of them, so the company states that no female p.d. positions are available at present, nixes the promotion exam for the rank, and the female sujets are stuck waiting (for a new étoile? for Riqué's retirement?). How long has Fiat been a sujet now? Eight years? I hope she won't give up on the exam altogether.

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Jérémie Bélingard did an interview for France 2 midday news today, Thursday, April 19. Skip ahead to the last segment of the program. There is some footage of him rehearsing the Film Star in Nureyev's Cinderella.

http://jt.france2.fr/13h/

You can access the clip for the next week under Les éditions précédentes.

#18 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

[quote name='volcanohunter' date='Mar 30 2007, 08:51 PM' post='200878']
[quote name='Estelle' post='200868' date='Mar 30 2007, 02:05 PM']
[quote name='Azulynn' post='200840' date='Mar 30 2007, 04:55 PM']
I'd say the most likely candidates among the women at this point seem to be Eleonora Abbagnato and Emilie Cozette, both scheduled to dance Cinderella, but they have embarassing weaknesses in the classics. Eleonora Abbagnato is nowhere near the required level technically, although she's liked for her acting skills and does a lot of creations. Emilie Cozette is IMO the least interesting "première danseuse" - she is technically strong (as far as the legs and feet go) but her upper body is stiff. She has always seemed to lack grace and projection on stage when I've seen her, most lately as the Queen of the Dryads.
[/quote]
I share your opinion about those two dancers, and would definitely be disappointed to see one of them promoted... Indeed that's not what I'd expect from a POB étoile :yucky:
[/quote]

I do agree with you. I attended last Monday Cendrillon, Abbagnato/Bélingard, and I was very dissapointed. She was not relaxed on stage and does not have the required technical level. As for Bélingard, I thought that he was a bit green, I mean that he didn't have enough experience on stage. Their performance was far from brilliant.

[quote name='Estelle' post='200788' date='Mar 29 2007, 05:59 PM']
By the way, there's a dancer I really regret not seeing in that list: Fanny Fiat, who is in my opinion at least as talented as several dancers of that list, but has never got all the recognition she deserved...
[/quote]

I share your opinion. Mme. Fiat was one of the sisters, the other one was Mélanie Hurel, and their technique was accurate. They performed their roles with loads of sense of humor. They merited the applause more than the leading roles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):