This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

It's not the only professional footage of her, MakarovaFan. There is a short piece by Yakobson "Eternal Idol" as well, although I don't think it features on any of these compilations. Otherwise the "Classic Kirov" can be recommended for various bits, especially Asylmuratova's "Esmeralda" and Komleva's "Ruslan and Ludmilla" :blush:

i note that GAYNE is not on the list of shelest's roles. wonder if she did the role in this film esp. for the film. i am assuming that is this 6 min. excerpt she dances the title role, the only one on pointe in this selection.

does anyone know if the first semi-leading female character - in red - is the ballet's choreographer, nina anisimova (opposite chabukiani?) and is the partner of tatiana vecheslova (as nune?) - the only dancer named in the credits on screen - is n.zubkovsky (as karen?)?

there is much to admired on the compliation in addition to the somewhat rare footage of shelest.

the only film listed in the russian enclyclopedia of russian ballet is one from '59, should one presume that is the source of this excerpt?

i must revisit this video. thanx, for the identifications.

i am embarrassed to say that i actually shared time on a panel in brookyn once w/ i.belsky and didn't recognize him.

i know chabukiani only from photos and the odd film.

oh well, better to be informed late than later.

i'm not sure if the whole of this1943 9 min. film [see below] is on any compilation in full but the second video named below has another(?) excerpt, which, if mem. serves, put together w/ that on CLASSIC KIROV puts all of the little film on home video.

Bayaderka [motion picture] [1943].

9 min. 331 ft. : sd. b&w. ; 16 mm.

Notes :Motion picture released in 1943. Title of ballet in Russian; credits in English.

Choreography: not credited; possibly Vakhtang Chabukiani and Vladimir Ponomarev after Marius Petipa. Music: Ludwig Minkus.

Performed by Natalia Dudinskaya (Nikiya), Vakhtang Chabukiani (Solor), and members of the Leningrad State Academy Theater of Opera and Ballet.

SUMMARY: Excerpts from La bayadère, Act IV, the Kingdom of the Shades, including the entry of the shades, adagio and variations by Nikiya and Solor, and a coda performed by the entire cast.

Russian ballet, the glorious tradition. Volume two [videorecording]/ Telecompany Ostankino [and] Val G. Productions, Ltd. Fort Lee, NJ : Video Artists International, c1993, 1914-1988. (71 min.) : sd., col. and b&w)

Notes: The dying swan (b&w) / recorded in 1914 ; choreography, Michel Fokine ; music, Camille Saint-Saëns ; danced by Vera Karalli.

Classical variation (b&w) / recorded in 1944 ; choreography, Aleksandr Gorski ; music, Riccardo Drigo ; danced by Marina Semenova.

Swan lake: Act II, Odette's variation (b&w) / recorded in 1940 ; choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Marina Semenova, with ensemble.

La bayadère: pas de deux (b&w) / recorded in 1940 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; danced by Natalia Dudinskaya and Vakhtang Chabukiani, with ensemble.

Romeo and Juliet: bedroom pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1951 ; choreography, Leonid Lavrovski ; music, Sergey Prokofiev ; danced by Galina Ulanova and Mikhail Gabovich.

Harlequinade: pas de deux (b&w) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Riccardo Drigo ; danced by Ninel Kurgapkina and Nikolai Kovmir.

Swan lake: Act II pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Valery Kovtun, with ensemble.

Swan lake: Act III pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Valery Kovtun, with ensemble.

Walpurgis night (col.) / recorded in 1978 ; choreography, Leonid Lavrovsky ; music, Charles Gounod ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova, Stanislav Vlasov, and Shamil Yagudin, with ensemble.

Melody (col.) / recorded in 1971 ; choreography, Kasian Goleizovski ; music, Antonín Dvorák ; danced by Natalia Bessmertnova and Aleksandr Lavreniuk.

The sleeping beauty: Act III, grand pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1988 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Ludmila Semenyaka and Vyacheslav Gordeev, with ensemble.

Don Quixote: Act III, pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1973 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, with ensemble.

Ulanova in Sylphides, Kolpakova in Cinderella and Nutcracker, Asylmuratova in Esmeralda ...

I had watched this earlier, but I think not all of it. I wanted to see Sizova in 'Fountain of Bakshisarai', but the other night watched again and the ones named above are what struck me most. Was watching because people are talking about Kolpikova in new DVD release of 'Raymonda', so I'm also looking at the tape of 'Sleeping Beauty'. I already like her in Rose Adagio for not snatching the roses at the end the way one ballerina does. Beautiful sets at the Kirov for this SB. Only thing I skipped was 'Fountain', which I think I can live without, if even the divine Sizova can bring it to more life than I saw here.