This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet 2007-8 Season

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

Oh yes, they are a bit different! In NYC, one of the women is in yellow; she's the one who gets tossed in the air - I'm guessing that's apricot in London because the other colors seem as in NYC. One man is in brick - usually a young virtuoso - that's probably salmon.

Back to scheduling; I've got my eye on Jewels in November (I can see my brother for an expatriate Thanksgiving and then go to the ballet), the April dates that can be combined with Paris and if the airfare gods are smiling, May for the new works and The Dream/Dances.

#17 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Some dances have been reassigned at NYCB. Shortly after Stephanie Saland took on the Green woman ("chatterbox"), Robbins gave her what had been the Mauve woman's first entrance, which I believe is the second dance, a pdd following the (traditionally) Brown man's opening solo. That one seems to have stuck, at least at NYCB, but there have also been temporary reshufflings.

It sounds like Robbins never quite settled the mix-and-match casting that drove his original cast so crazy before the premiere. I think someone should set the matter straight once and for all, so BT-ers can discuss the Green man, for example, and know which dances he does. :mad: :wink:

#18 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

robbins toyed a with the roles and their disposition from the very first season, below is the relationship of royal to nycb as i can now recall/suggest:
sibley = mcbride/pink
seymour = verdy/green
mason = kent/apricot
conner = leland/blue
jenner = mazzo/mauve
nureyev = villella/brown
dowell = blum/mustard
wall = prinz/olive
coleman = clifford/blue-green
kelly = maiorano/plum

i've attached a picture postcard, undated, but sent to me from london at the time of the Royal Ballet's run of the ballet by jennifer dunning - it's the first cast given above by jane surrounding robbins.
p.s. if anyone has access to back copies of anita finkel's NEW DANCE REVIEW in the July/Aug 1989 issue anita commissioned a conversation w/ susan reiter, charles france and me and w/ a tape recorder running we all conversed about the many manifestations of DANCES over the preceeding 20 years. Charles was there at the world premiere, i saw the ballet late in the first season, and susan saw it soon thereafter - all of us followed it closely over the years. there is much data in the article, much of it culled by susan who has a great gift for retaining and gathering detail.

Attached Files

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

It's not surprising that the roles and colors were interchanged: in Dance as a Contact Sport, Joseph Mazo describes how in the making of the ballet, Robbins taught the same dances to different ballerinas.

#20 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

The colors don't quite match up--for instance green (Seymour in the British version) danced more than green in NY (she did some of what the mauve US woman does), Dowell (gold) danced with Sibley (mauve in the British version, roughly equivalent to pink in the US) in the long pas de deux, which is danced by purple in NY. The boy in brick (salmon) danced more in the British version, there wasn't really a "run-on" girl in the British version, since she danced more. And when Nureyev left, Dowell took some of his parts, so even the British version wasn't consistent. I think the British version had more distinct personalities (that is, the dancers had more consistency throughout the ballet) than the current NY version, though I certainly didn't see the original NY cast. The current NY version does have a few gleams, but nothing like the magic I remember--and the audience is so disruptive, because once the final sublime piece starts at least half of them dive for the exit, so the final walk is totally ruined. Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):