This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhail Baryshnikov on Charlie Rose

As usual, I was astonished by the lack of research his staff does when ballet is the topic, which leaves CR asking foolish questions, or not asking more relevant ones, or forgetting simple facts like the first 'Hollywood' film Baryshnikov did was "Turning Point" for which he (MB) was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar (!), and director Herbert Ross' wife Nora Kaye was a former ABT dancer.

I wouldn’t necessarily expect Rose to bring up Ross or Kaye, but I was also surprised that he didn’t know “The Turning Point” was Baryshnikov’s first Hollywood venture, and an Oscar nomination is the sort of thing that no good host ordinarily fails to mention. Very poor briefing on the part of his staff, definitely.

As usual, I was astonished by the lack of research his staff does when ballet is the topic, which leaves CR asking foolish questions, or not asking more relevant ones, or forgetting simple facts like the first 'Hollywood' film Baryshnikov did was "Turning Point" for which he (MB) was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar (!), and director Herbert Ross' wife Nora Kaye was a former ABT dancer.
or that Ross, too, was a ballet dancer before he was a movie maker.

Ross was also a choreographer, which I like to think influenced his work as a director.

I see that the videocast is slipping down toward the bottom of the page. Don't know if this means it might cease to be available, but ...

http://www.charlierose.com/index.html

Has anyone emailed the producers yet with their criticisms? I think it would be productive for the CR producers to hear from a critical mass of educated viewers. The email addy for comments is charlierose@pbs.org (I hope it's ok to include this email here).