This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Carmina Burana/Serenade program

From the company (casting link below):

Carmina Burana

PASSION IGNITES PHILADELPHIA!

Carmina Burana with Serenade

March 8–17, 2007

Subscriptions on sale NOW!

Individual tickets on sale now

Carmina Burana

World Premiere!

Music: Carl Orff

Choreography: Matthew Neenan

Serenade

Choreography: George Balanchine

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Join us for the WORLD PREMIERE of a new Carmina Burana, choreographed by Pennsylvania Ballet’s star choreographer Matthew Neenan! Based on a collection of 13th-century poems, Carmina Burnana tells the heated story of destiny, eternal love, the awakening of nature and the exploration of the joys of life. In this new version of one of the most spectacular works to ever grace the stage, Neenan returns to the original Carl Orff score (previously altered by choreographer John Butler), and focuses the choreography on “organic manipulations” of tempo and rhythm. This emotionally riveting score is performed live by the Pennsylvania Ballet Orchestra and the Philadelphia Kantorei Chorus.

With mystical and translucent scenery by Mimi Lien and costumes by Oana Botez-Ban that emphasize the musculature of the dancers’ bodies, this production promises to be powerful, mesmerizing, and seductive. From innocence and simple pleasures to indlugence and worldly delights, Carmina Burnana is about great passion — sex, love, life, and death.

“Carmina Burana is one of the Pennsylvania Ballet’s signature works and the Company danced it with the flair this powerful work demands.

Robert Baxter, Courier Post

A milestone in dance history, Serenade was George Balanchine’s first ballet choreographed in America. Performed by 28 dancers in Karinska-designed blue costumes to music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, the ballet originated as a lesson in performance technique, with unexpected rehearsal elements interspersed. This four-movement work showcases Balanchine’s belief that movement be the focal point of his ballets.

“…Serenade is the chestnut among chestnuts. It is the first ballet Balanchine made on these shores; he created if for his students in 1934, just months after docking in New York. It is one of his more easily learned ballets, lacking much of the tricky technique he latter developed, and yet its simplicity is striking, full of deeply moving images and an effortless adherence to Tchaikovsky’s music.”

Sarah Kaufman, The Washington Post

Major support for the world premiere of Carmina Burana was provided by the William Penn Foundation, Linda and David Glickstein, and The Sylvan Foundation.

http://www.paballet.org/_uploaded/pdf/prod...buranafinal.pdf

While I'm excited to read about the Carmina casting, I was even more excited to read the article about the 2007-2008 season. I can live without seeing Dracula and Coppelia for the umpteenth time, but Weiss' Messiah and Carnival of the Animals? Sign me up!