Robert Gottlieb on New York City Ballet in the New(March 2007)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

Why don't you send Gottlieb an email and ask him to further explain his opinions. His address is at the end of his review.

sz -- I wasn't sure if your question was directed to my post or to everyone commenting on Gottlieb. So I'll reply for myself. I enjoy posting on Ballettalkand reading what others have to say--but no, I don't think, I have some deep argument with Robert Gottlieb worth his time (or mine) for a private or public debate. (I do think that some so-called differences of opinion are matters of judgment not just personal taste. In fact, that's why Gottlieb is often a critic worth discussing--because he knows something about ballet and presumably isn't just offering opinions)

#17 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I was reading something else, and this article was suggested. It's been 10 1/2 years since Robert Gottlieb wrote this. Any thoughts on how NYCB has evolved since then?

http://observer.com/...gacy-imperiled/

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Interesting topic to resume, Jayne. What has happened to the Diamond Project, anyway? (Not that I'm complaining about its absence.) One important thing that has happened since that article was published is that many of the principals who gave problematic performances have now retired. The current crop of principals (and new soloists!) is, overall, a very impressive group. I tend to read Gottlieb's articles on a regular basis. I think Gottlieb himself may now be less critical of the company now than he was back when that old linked article was published. Now if we could only bring Eddie Villela on board to coach now that he is back in NYc. Wishful thinking.

#19 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

At the Paley Center last week Villella said he wants to teach - he wants to coach
and the Balanchine Trust has requests for him to do so. He recently coached
Prodigal Son for the Cincinnati Ballet and there's a nice video on their website
of Villella and Paul Boos rehearsing with the company. The performances are
this week end.

http://www.cballet.o...213/prodigalson

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have not liked either DeLuz or Ulbricht in Prodigal. It's not about their technical ability- which is first rate. The problem is that neither DeLuz nor Ulbricht have mastered the dramatic nuances. I wish Damien Woetzel or Villella would coach them.

#21 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

.... Now if we could only bring Eddie Villela on board to coach now that he is back in NYc. Wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking indeed. For this spectator, an essential difference between NYCB and MCB has been Martins's exclusion of those who can coach Balanchine's repertory to look like Balanchine himself were supervising it and Villella's inclusion of many of them - not only himself but also Allegra Kent, Violette Verdy, Jean-Piere Bonnefoux and Suzanne Farrell, to name some off the top of my head. And Roma Sosenko continues as Ballet Mistress at MCB, I believe.

... [Villella] recently coached Prodigal Son for the Cincinnati Ballet and there's a nice video on their website
of Villella and Paul Boos rehearsing with the company. The performances are this week end.

http://www.cballet.o...213/prodigalson

Some of the best news of the season for this Balanchine addict! (But the link didn't work: "The requested page could not be found.")

I have not like either DeLuz or Ulbricht in Prodigal. It's not about their technical ability- which is first rate. The problem is that neither DeLuz nor Ulbricht have mastered the dramatic nuances. I wish Damien Woetzel or Villella would coach them.

A few years ago, MCB presented Prodigal Son, and Jeremy Cox's performances there put me in mind of Villella's and Baryshnikov's - not quite the same level, but the three form a natural group in my limited experience. There were alternates to Cox, but they did not move me anything like those three. I didn't see Woetzel - watching NYCB has done nothing for me since the mid-'80s, so I rarely do - and Mischa has moved on so far he might reasonably decline to coach if asked. And Cox is still performing, somewhere, I hope, although that may not preclude coaching.

#22 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Go to the Home Page for Cincinnati Ballet - click on Prodigal Son for the Video.
I don't know how to post a video. Sorry.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Here is the direct link to the video on YouTube. Many thanks Balanchinomane, for the heads up!

It was so nice to here Paul Boos speak. I remember him well from NYCB: he was a tall, lean dancer with spring and a soft, pliant quality.

#24 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

abatt, unfortunately Martins is hell-bent on denying NYCB dancers the coaching which could and probably would make them great. (It is a miracle that anything like Bouder, Peck, and Reichlen emerged under his regime--every dog has his day, I suppose.) He has not only fired the best (Farrell, Verdy, Ashley--I could go on and on) from his staff, he completely refuses to have any of the ballerinas still living (or in Villella's case, danseurs) coach the roles MADE on them. MCB, PNB, SFB, and every other B in America worth its salt begs Ashley, Verdy, Farrell, McBride, Tallchief, etc. to come and coach the ballets they created; Martins is clearly bent on eradicating anything or anyone who might demonstrate the appalling truth of Gottlieb 's criticisms (for example--Arlene Croce was even more vituperative and even more absolutely right) of him. You will notice, in looking at his current masthead, that he has NO true star ballerinas from the past (Sorry, but von Aroldingen doesn't come close to that category) nor any of the strongest men (Cook, who also mysteriously disappeared from NYCB's staff, for example...); Hendl was a great dancer who never made it to principal, somewhat unfairly, and the rest were corps or titular soloists. This is no accident, nor is the fact that this masthead used to be dripping with the names of great dancers from the past who now are great coaches. Calegari, anyone? Nichols? Saland? heavens no. We wouldn't want anyone to appear more intelligent and artistic than Martins, now would we???

#25 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for that wonderful video, I really enjoyed it (and wish PNB would revive it soon!!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):