This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Met Opera has announced it's plans for 2007-2008

Of course there is lots of production info, etc but aside from that it looks like they are considering the showings here and abroad of the HD theater telecasts of operas this past season a success.

They are increasing the number from 6 to (at least)8 for next season.

Since there were several threads here on a couple of the theater showings, and lots of comment, I thought I would post the link

with the coverage of the season information from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/arts/music/27met.html

Thank you very much for posting, richard53dog. Looks like an interesting season.

Tan Dun’s sprawling new work, “The First Emperor,” which ran to mixed reviews but full houses this winter, will return at the end of the 2007-8 season for three performances. Mr. Gelb said he had asked Mr. Tan to make cuts to improve the dramatic flow. “He didn’t have the benefit of a rewrite,” Mr. Gelb said.

Hmmm.

In today's e-mail from the Met:

FINAL THREE PERFORMANCES OF THE MET'S 2006–07 HD LIVE SEASON – DON'T MISS OUT!

Don't miss Puccini's Il Trittico, live to theaters around the world on Saturday, April 28th. Tony Award–winner Jack O'Brien stages a powerful new production of this ambitious triptych of one–acts, conducted by Met Music Director James Levine and featuring a cast of renowned international singers.

• Saturday, April 28 at 1:30 PM ET / 10:30 AM PT

In addition, due to popular demand, encore transmissions have been scheduled for Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin starring Renée Fleming as Tatiana and Dmitri Hvorostovsky in the title role. Don't miss the rebroadcast of this wildly popular transmission, featuring one of the most gripping final scenes in opera.

• Sunday, April 15 at 1:30 PM, in all time zones

The final performance this season will be an encore performance of Rossini's The Barber of Seville (Il Barbiere di Siviglia), starring Juan Diego Flórez, one of the great bel canto tenors of the day, as Count Almaviva, rising mezzo–soprano Joyce DiDonato as Rosina, and the dashing baritone Peter Mattei in the title role.

• Tuesday, May 15 at 7:00 PM, in all time zones

http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?seriesid=610

I'd almost forgotten that you all discussed "other performing and fine arts".

Had the pleasure of seeing both The Barber of Seville and Il Trittico offsite in a movie theatre in HD and my reaction was "Wow!" I can only speak as a non-aficionado and say that it was a fantastic experience!

Although I have attended a few operas both at The Met and The NY State Theatre - both of these performances that I experienced with friends, some of whom were experienced opera buffs and some who were not, were excellent and have conditioned me to go back for more. We are really looking forward to the next season.

Bravo for The Met in their forward thinking! Can't help but think that with the proper techniques that the ballet might be well served by following The Met's lead on this. :flowers: