This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

a very passionate greeting

artist

I have been waiting a long time for this; 1 1/2 years of reading all of the posts here, of which I can relate very heavily. Because I respected the minimum age limit, I just learned immensely without any input.

I am different from many. Being 16, I already feel that we've lost a big aspect of ballet: the passion, the true artform. Too much focus on technicality and body type, and the inner emotions get hidden. Though we can't go back to the "old" times, I do wish we can bring some sort of driving spirit back.

I started "real" ballet at age 12. I was known for rapid progression & hard work and artistic quality through Cecchetti Exams. I had fallen in love with the true art - not the ritsy sport I had been taught at 6. But 2 years later I was forced to stop due to back pain. (may have been from repetitive stress-i was doing 20 hrs./wk at 13) This obviously tore me to pieces (since something I loved so dearly was taken away from me) and wasn't allowed to dance again until the following year. I started up again for another year and now I am here [with the same unknown nagging pain]. -i had been through physical therapy to 3 sessions of epidural shots, facet injections, massage therapy to a number of specialized doctors, surgeons, and now to chiropractors and pain management.

What I thought was the worst thing to happen to me b/c of the emotional and physical pain, perhaps, turned into an epiphany. I became addicted to researching ballet/art/music history. I know I am very knowledgeable of many things in the arts (esp. for my age) mainly because of my passion. Though ostracized b/c of my different likings, I continue to learn in hope that the arts will live.

I was also given the opportunity to teach [ballet & tap] and choreograph. Both I still do and love. (i know i seem too young for these, but maybe my work has earned it?) People say I have an unusual memory for combinations and choreography....

I just wanted to say 'thank you' for keeping me alive through these rough times. I feel I can finally relate to people who appreciate the same things. How many teens do you know who adore classical music? (BTW my favorites are Maurice Ravel 1875-1937 and Claude Debussy 1862-1918, of course having the latter teach Ravel)

Classic Arts Showcase anyone??

I have several old ballet books from a Cecchetti Society library in London, many DVDs, I've seen a handful of performances by locals, ABT, NYCB, and the Royal Ballet, and a lot of things found online. I have also met a bunch of great ballet professionals and masters. All waiting to be discussed.

Gracias, danke, merci, salamat, and thanks for this wonderful board of knowledge. (and your priceless photos)

truly,

artist

p.s. - Yes, I've visited your sister site.

Welcome, artist, and a happy birthday to you, even if belatedly.

Your words -- your life -- is very moving. Your passion comes through very directly. I have no doubt that you have much to share with us -- both in terms of incidental experiences and below-the-surface insights.

I also am quite sure that you will find your own way, as you continue your journey, to contribute to your art. And BalletTalk will be lucky to be benefit, as we already have.

Thank you.

Welcome, artist.

You remind me of myself when I was your age -- though my favorite was Beethoven. But then, I'm a guy. I wanted more than anything to play the pathetique sonata like artur Rubenstein, spent all my savings on a piano, and pursuaded my folks to pay for lessons. Alas, I never learned to relax my wrists properly -- technique IS important, you'll hurt yourself if you don't do things correctly -- so I could never develop the stamina needed for his wilder passages. Which was of course the part I was crazy about.

I hope you keep coming back and sharing your insights with us.

You know that Cecchetti was the first Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty? (Actually, he played TWO roles -- he was also Carabosse, the angry fairy -- what an opening night that must have been, huh?) They're doing Sleeping Beauty here where I live right now in the Bay Area. Wish you could see it -- it would be good to talk to you about it. Wonder what you'd think.

thank you Paul Parish, that touched my heart.

I like Beethoven's Romance pieces; and I think Rubenstein is amazing! I took lessons for about 4 years starting at about 8 yrs old. I hated it though, esp. the practicing but I had a bit of a natural knack for it. But 3 yrs after I stopped (and a few months after stopping ballet) I saw [on CAS] 2 guys on 2 grande pianos playing Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin. It blew me away! From then on I've wanted to go back since I started to appreciate classical music, but I can't find the time anymore. The violin and the piano are my favorite instruments; I can feel them in my heart.

...amazing how Beethoven became deaf, isn't it? Such genius how he had to rely on the vibrations. Some of his greatest works were towards the end of his life when he had no hearing. Brilliant man!

and, of course, I knew about Cecchetti's double casting! I can see him excelling more as Carabosse, though, just from pictures - but who knows? As a teacher of Vaganova, he's impacted ballet throughout 2 methods of teaching. When I found out he was in Scheherazade I was so happy b/c The Young Prince and The Young Princess piece is another fav. and realizing that part of that piece was used for our syllabus music, I felt honored that I was dancing to something he was in!

music really is a part of me, just as it is for you. I've become more sensitive to the quality of each piece and can recognize several works and know exactly who composed it, etc. But it's not so much that I recognize a piece than it is to how I felt when I first heard it, how it first entered into my soul. I guess that's when you know the composer/writer/choreographer/dancer/artist did their job - when they've made an impact on their viewer/audience. When they've made us feel.

I've heard that music is food to humans - we need music in our lives. I'm sure we both can't live w/out music. Isn't it amazing that you were able to produce that kind of sound on the piano, to make that lovely melody with your own hands? oh, my heart just melts when I hear melancholy music, prob. b/c it told a story to my heart and I reacted to its beauty.

perhaps that is what's started my appreciation of beauty, in all forms. I love nature, as well. Everything happens for a reason. If I didn't hurt my back, perhaps I wouldn't have found the time to focus on ballet history and music, thus, never really looking at beauty, though it's right in front of everyone. Maybe the same with you. Even if not playing to that certain level, you are able to connect with others who have seen things from your eyes. And then it can bring you to a myriad of arts b/c you have been brought up with that special ability.

many people today are seeing w/out seeing. they're dancing w/out dancing. their emotions and expressions are impassive. the job of the true artist is to be able to connect with the audience through their art and work. Unfortunately, people shine past that beauty and we get what is now mediocrity. 'Tis a shame for those who have to view it, yet also a blessing for those who recognize it. Then it must be divine for those who do something about it. Just look at Spartacus.

Yet, this knowledge is what inevitably makes me lonely. With knowledge comes suffering, just like in Fahrenheit 451 which spookily relates to society of today though written about 50 yrs ago.

How many teens do you know who adore classical music?

Yay, that makes two of us! :clapping:

Me three, though I'm only a teen for a few more months :)

the more the merrier! (The Merry Wives of Windsor just popped in my head! :P ) 3rd one's the charm, right? Hey, now we're like the Triple Whammy's!

CSULB - my alma mater. I wish they had had a Dance major when I went there in the late 60s. I was a Social Work major and took the only dance classes they had which was in the PE Dept. But I added private classes with Audrey Share and Valerie Silver, two amazing women that both somehow ended up in Long Beach. Thanks for the memories and good luck!

CSULB - my alma mater. I wish they had had a Dance major when I went there in the late 60s. I was a Social Work major and took the only dance classes they had which was in the PE Dept. But I added private classes with Audrey Share and Valerie Silver, two amazing women that both somehow ended up in Long Beach. Thanks for the memories and good luck!

Barbara!!! I, too, studied with Audrey Share and Valerie Silver, from about 1955 - 1968.

Love to chat more about that. I kept in touch with Valerie over the years. She passed away a couple of years ago in her Seattle home.

Christine Mills

www.juniorballet.org